Will a Venus Flytrap eat jelly beans instead of flies?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/30/will-a-venus-flytrap-eat-jelly-beans-instead-of-flies.html

6 Likes

quark-but-why

14 Likes

Telling the plant it was getting wild cherry and then giving it spicy cinnamon is inhumane in the extreme.

20 Likes

Can’t wait for the first cvoncerned vegan to start a petition in order to have flytraps fed with vegan products …

3 Likes

Or any of the gross flavors like booger, mud or fart.

OTOH, it might like dirt flavor.

7 Likes

I always wondered why they didn’t just keep licorice the same on that chart.

6 Likes

TIL: venus fly traps can count! that’s pretty wild.

If a Venus Flytrap is fed ground-up Republicans, will it go conservative?

2 Likes

Is there another kind of candy with the nitrogen and phosphorous that Venus Fly-traps evidently crave? Would plant-food work better?

1 Like

Don’t know, but the world would be a better place!

4 Likes

If you touch it right it closes but that takes energy the plant doesn’t have to spare.
Starving your Venus Fly Trap just to watch it close is a bit mean.

11 Likes

I wonder how rich in nitrogen jelly beans are? From my own understanding, Venus fly traps occur in areas where there is low nitrogen in the soil, so they adapted a way of getting the nitrogen from bugs.

6 Likes

We got a Venus Flytrap as a gift when I was a kid, I remember being disappointed – it was tiny, it wasn’t constantly gobbling up flies like I assumed-- after a few failed attempts to get a bug to crawl inside we put a tiny piece of salami or bologna in it. It closed on the luncheon meat, then died a few weeks later.

3 Likes

14 Likes

Your understanding agrees with what the video said, which also stated that jelly beans are almost entirely sucrose/fructose.

I’m just guessing this particular Venus Flytrap prefers jelly beans…

9 Likes

I don’t see the Kickstarter link here for this.

@frauenfelder, thank you so much for providing the TLDR so I don’t have to actually watch another YouTube video.

2 Likes

Centipede/Strawberry Jam seems like the safest option. But maybe I’m underestimating the taste of centipedes.

1 Like

If you’ve ever played BeanBoozled, there really are no safe options. Only degrees of bad.

The Jelly Belly people pride themselves on making their flavors as accurate as possible.

3 Likes