As summer gas prices boom remember that Costco gas is just fine

3 Likes

If everyone else is spacing their cars considerately of other drivers I can get the hose over the F150 and fill from either side without having to climb over. Sometimes a clown show occurs.

2 Likes

I like Costco and go there often. I fucking love my electric car and go to gas stations never.

3 Likes

I swore back in the day my car didn’t run as well on Arco gasoline. I just go to Costco all the time now so I no longer have a frame of reference

2 Likes

I get gas every time I eat a Costco hot dog.

5 Likes

Welcome to Idiocracy, I love you.

It’s .50 cheaper per gallon in my location. That’s $5 per fill up for me. With my pre covid commute time of three hours it was well worth it. If you’re worried about the wait, the gas pumps are open long before the retail store. There’s zero wait time.

Harumph…lowest price for unleaded is $1.40 (Aud) per LITRE !
$1.50 off the beaten track.

Objectively speaking, are lower gas prices a good thing, or not?

They tell me whether or not your state is taxing you for things like roads or schools.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Indiana works very hard to lower taxes as much as possible, happily eviscerating things like education in the process. But they do charge extra annual taxes on electric and hybrid vehicles, specifically calculated to be higher than what would be paid in gas taxes for the year.

3 Likes

There are a few states which are high and low gas tax outliers, but the vast majority are between 20 and 40 cents a gallon. And that middle group is a pretty representative mix of rural and urban, blue and red.

I’m guessing that most of the people who are saying “Whoopee, I can save 70 cents a gallon at Costco” are comparing that to other gas stations nearby, which charge the same state tax. So that’s really not the issue. (I could be wrong and I welcome informed correction)

There are lots of people who talk about wanting to reduce the amount of CO2 pumped into our atmosphere. Only some of them jump on the chance to fill up their gas tank for cheap, I guess.

Loyal Costco gas buyer here. Sample size of one isn’t much, I know. In non covid times my commute takes 2-3 hours per day. There are three Costcos along the way. As long as I buy gas on my commute there is zero additional driving. I have a long enough commute that it saves me substantial money (for me) to time my fill ups to hit the nearby Costco.

Now as far as overall emissions- I don’t think any of us could do more to reduce our commute time than what we collectively accomplished during lockdowns or periods of work from home. This last year and a half I think I’ve bought something like three whole tanks of gas. I’ve certainly done my part to curb CO2 emissions. However, if I understand correctly, the overall effect of individuals working from home is only a small percentage of the overall problem. Not that I’m looking forward to restarting my obscene commute any time soon.

If time is money, Costco has the most expensive gas in town.

2 Likes

The Mobil station near a Costco has the same gas price as Costco. I still wait in line for the Costco since it is better gas.

You can buy Costco gift cards without a membership. The pumps here accept them.

5 Likes

Late stage internal combustion engine worries. More important is where I will be able to recharge my Porsche 911E.

I kid, I kid. I will be getting a Fiat 500 Electric, though. Surprisingly fun to drive, though I still prefer the subway for most of my trips.

3 Likes

There is no clean answer to if cheap gas is good or bad. Gasoline is a product with massive externalities, both positive and negative. Higher gas prices mean a ripple of higher prices on almost anything in our society, which has a negative effect, primarily on the poorest in society, so points on the cheap being better. This is further complicated by our segregated society often leaving our high paying stable jobs in a ring of car dependent suburbs, in the US. The CO2 is also cooking our planet, so points on expensive being better. It is both because the demand is relatively inelastic, because broader structural forces require people to use a lot of gas and the downsides of the chemistry stick around either way. Raising or lowering prices isn’t a clear benefit, but a tradeoff. Ideally, we would change some of the structural factors that create some of the inelastic demand, then we could use price to control for the CO2 and other pollution, without leaving the poor unable to buy groceries.

4 Likes

Our membership fee pays the average difference in gas so it works well for us.

Gas Buddy needs a filter to show me only “gas stations that don’t play unmutable video ads”. Again, Costco FTW. Although I would occasionally like to check my oil or wash my windshield, two things Costco doesn’t support.

1 Like