Phew! "The $1.50 hot dog price is safe", says Costco CFO

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/05/phew-the-1-50-hot-dog-price-is-safe-says-costco-cfo.html

2 Likes

It’s basically the same thing as the rotisserie chicken. Just a marketing gimmick to get people in the door. Of course the $1.50 price is safe. It’s not priced to generate profit directly on the sale of the hot dogs.

8 Likes

I read somewhere that Costco makes the bulk of its profits from memberships, and the items themselves have low profit margins. Makes sense: keep the $1.50 hotdog meal loss-leader, increase membership by a few dollars every few years to compensate. (I’m still sore that my membership went up by $20 a few years ago.)

5 Likes

Yes, that’s why I said it’s the same gimmick as the rotisserie chicken, which is absolutely sold at a loss. However, I suspect they are actually making a small profit on those hot dogs at $1.50 each. Not much, probably a few pennies, but I don’t think they’re losing money on them.

4 Likes

Even if they’re loss leaders, prices like that make me question the quality and ethics of the products.

1 Like

…Costco co-founder Jim Sinegal once threatened CEO Jim Sinegal with death if he ever changed the price.

Big Sheriff Bart Energy.

6 Likes

“No, I don’t need a new phone.”
“No, I don’t need solar panels.”
“No, I don’t need new windows.”
“No, I don’t need a new furnace.”

$1.50 hot dog. Best price on the carnival midway.

Huh. These are “Kirkland” hot dogs, which are produced in-house at a Costco-owned factory, and poking around it would seem that the dog itself should cost, wholesale, about $.50/dog for a quarter-pound sausage. Double that for transport, add about $.75 for the bun and another .25 for condiments, plus a few pennies for sugar and carbonated water drink . . . . yeah, they’re still losing money on it. It’s good marketing.

That’s close to retail if you get the pack in the fridge section, so it’s probably much cheaper than that.

3 Likes

I definitely recognize that you know this — the rotisserie chicken reference was a dead giveaway. :blush: The grocery store where I once worked used eggs as one of its regular loss leaders. The buy one/two get one free deals were to liquidate nearly expired inventory at cost.

1 Like

Cool. I need to save the money for the colon cancer I’ll probably get after eating all those hot dogs!

1 Like

$60 a year membership fee for a $1.50 hot dog. What a deal.

1 Like

If you use it for nothing else, that’ll pay for itself with one a week or possibly less.

I doubt very many people would use it for only that.

2 Likes
1 Like

But I like Costco – I have a standard shopping list I use monthly.

1 Like
2 Likes

:rofl:

Excuse me, ma’am. Could I get by you to reach that 5 gallon air fryer?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.