Meat wars

Meat is murder. Cheap meat is still murder, just cheaply.

Undoubtedly the fight to keep the dog to $1.50 has resulted in additional cruelty to pigs and increased carbon emissions. But a great lesson for business.

4 Likes

Maybe they have just been clever in substituting some of the meat with a cheaper ingredient? Then it saves pigs.

3 Likes

Not to dismiss this argument, but unless you visit a Costco in Japan, those are all-beef franks.

Also, for the price, the pizza is pretty amazing, too (if you like a moderately thick crust).

3 Likes

Yes- I can confirm these do exist

It blew me away when I saw it because it’s obviously an enormous building and there are few businesses in Japan that actually have large buildings for a single dedicated business the way we do in America. In fact, I can only think of 3- movie theaters, Xebio Sports (think Dicks and REI and all the best stuff from both, but bigger), and Costco.

I only ever saw one, outside Sapporo- and they had a Frank Muller crazy hours wristwatch worth several hundred thousand dollars in a luxury area in front of the store.

3 Likes

Meat is food. With that said, steps can be taken to promote animal welfare and I won’t eat anything that hasn’t lived a full, natural life. If we’re going there, all food production involves death at every level. Remember that you, too will be eaten.

3 Likes

Probably not necessary. Hot dog cart vendors are able to increase profits with simple things like charging $1-$2 for a bottle of water. Which seems to outsell all other beverages in the summer time.

The Costco I went to had fountain beverages at the hotdog counter. A lot of potential profit right there. Because if they didn’t have the cheap hotdog I wouldn’t even visit the counter, where I’m likely to also order a drink.

I think you can make a profit selling a $1.50 hotdog. Wholesale prices for a quarter pound sausage are around 60 cents. Even lower for the smaller wieners. If you ignore the costs for the building and property as Costco already has a building, then they’re way ahead of the game, they even have advantages over a simple hotdog cart.

2 Likes

As a side note, until the pandemic, a hot dog and 20 ounce fountain drink cost $1.50 COSTCO had to close down the condiment and drink stations as high-touch areas likely to spread germs. I believe they are now supplying canned sodas; dunno if you can request Kirkland brand bottled water instead.

5 Likes

The animal suffering from eating meat is orders of magnitude more than for eating plants because we have to raise the plants to feed the animals. So whatever animal cruelty that goes into growing plants is multiplied for eating animals. This is also true for the resources needed to raise the animals, water, greenhouse emissions, etc.

We are living on borrowed time as we use resources much faster than we can replenish them. Choosing to not eat animals is one of the best ways we can reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

3 Likes

For a time our local Costco served a pretty decent Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich (think Pastrami on Rye in US units). No Schwartz’s or Bens, but also not 600kms away, and less than 1/3rd the cost; pretty sure sub-C$5.

Sadly, no more.

2 Likes

My Costco has the soda fountain open, but the condiment station closed.

3 Likes

The same here, but they ask that you use a fresh (free) cup for refills.

ETA: Of course, all of the seating has been removed, so who hangs around long enough to need a refill?

1 Like

Only as a consequence of your personal choice, and that is probably limited some types of animals.

I’ll give you a list of animals, which ones would you consider “food” ? Dog, cat, dolphin, wolf, turtle, tiger, whale, rat, vulture, gorilla, human.

True, and if we stopped farming for feeding animals, we could easily feed all people on earth with organically farmed plants, which would reduce those deaths to a minimum. So you should be all for that, right?

Not by humans, though, because for some strange reason we waste all that perfectly fine roadkill, that probably has lived a full, natural life.

Aren’t religious arguments fun? It’s OK for animals to eat people but not vice-versa? V’gans eat animals they can’t see. V’gan food is often tasty – necessarily so, to persuade anyone to eat the stuff. Humans evolved as omnivores, not herbivores. Farming kills wildlife. Et fucking cetera. Arguments of faith won’t be resolved.

Don’t expect CostCo to try to persuade customers to eat v’gan hot dogs anytime soon.

2 Likes

I may do vegan food occasionally, but it takes longer for me to prepare than many of my 30 minute or less standards, requires more non-standard ingredients (I don’t usually have kale pesto in the house), and DH has a list of foods on the no-fly list (like cauliflower) which will end up getting many vegan dishes summarily tossed onto the compost heap. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of vegan recipes with DH’s approval, and a rejected recipe consigns it and most of its cousins to the trashcan, along with anything I might have bought or prepared specifically for it. I don’t like wasting food, so am slow to experiment with things that have a high rejection rate.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.