What Would Happen if We Stopped Eating Meat?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/10/what-would-happen-if-we-stoppe.html

3 Likes

The Dystopian Future:
Customer at restaurant: “Waiter, I’d like the Surf & Turf, please.”
{waiter brings empty plate}
Customer at restaurant: “Noooooo!”

16 Likes

Surf & Turf?

That’s kale (organic, non-gmo, sustainable grown in a stress free hydroponic paradise) served in a bowl of ocean water.

19 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s what I said.

25 Likes

I can’t listen to it right now - do they mention that all dogs die of starvation?

8 Likes

Dogs will not die of starvation but dogfood will get more expensive.

3 Likes

Can you please have something on the main link that tells if it’s a video or a podcast? Plenty of other sites do this, and it’s a pain to come to an interesting link and then go ‘Oh, I need 38 minutes to get this content that I could have read in two - screw that.’

25 Likes

“Where will they get their protein?”

You keep pets? You monster!

(Not exaggerating PETA’s stance by much, come to think on it.)

12 Likes

I would starve?

3 Likes

Well… I keep pet rats I’ve sort of inherited and I feel kind of bad about it, having them locked up in a (huge) cage most of the time. But dogs are a different matter. We’ve created them and most breeds are pretty much totally dependent on us for their survival.

4 Likes

For the record, dogs are omnivores, they can thrive on plants

7 Likes

You are kidding?

If not: citation needed.

5 Likes

We wouldn’t have any pudding.

18 Likes

I am willing to provisionally accept “survive.” But you will need to support thriving with a lot of citations, particularly for puppies.

7 Likes

Or alternately, kale with a side of seaweed?

7 Likes

seconded.

1 Like

Check the Wikipedia entry, this isn’t a contested issue

Despite their descent from wolves and classification as Carnivora, dogs are variously described in scholarly and other writings as carnivores or omnivores. Unlike obligate carnivores, dogs can adapt to a wide-ranging diet, and are not dependent on meat-specific protein nor a very high level of protein in order to fulfill their basic dietary requirements.

8 Likes

i was thinking “seaweed salad” (surf) with a big glass of wheatgrass juice (turf).

6 Likes

Also, cows… can you imagine if we released all the domesticated cows into the wild? o_0

8 Likes