What Would Happen if We Stopped Eating Meat?

O! That actually sounds good! I’m in!

1 Like

Even the pet food industry says as much:

Some folks have come to the erroneous conclusion that dogs must be
carnivores because they fall under the order Carnivora. A close look at
the anatomy, behavior and feeding preferences of dogs shows that they
are actually omnivorous — able to eat and remain healthy with both
animal and plant foodstuffs.

2 Likes

“Fulfill basic dietary requirements” doesn’t imply they’d “thrive” though.

4 Likes

I think the better way to imagine this scenario is humans not reproducing these animals further. The majority of cows in America are now fertilized by artificial insemination.

3 Likes

My dog does not shed, and could not survive in the wild because his hair would grow and tangle. His breed has been evolved by artificial selection to live in an ecological niche with shears. He is also a rescue. It’s part of our agreement that we do not have dogs from puppies because that encourages dog breeding, and we feel there are far too many dogs. Our rural area is dog friendly but there are far too many neglected dogs in towns and cities.

13 Likes

“Fulfill basic dietary requirements” : fine with me as a substitute.

2 Likes

That’s based on some very, very indirect… I shudder to even call it evidence, and in any case doesn’t say that dogs can thrive on a purely plant-based diet. It just posits that they can also obtain some nutrition from plant sources.

7 Likes

Housecats would start hunting us for food.

Don’t make Mr. Fluffy mad. Feed him a can formerly living creatures!

38 Likes

i agree : )

2 Likes

…but cats will all go blind, eh.

That, and no humans in Arctic regions, if those survive, that is.

3 Likes

Sure. Just what happens to the cows that are already here if we just freed them all…

4 Likes

Well, of course this meat-ban overnight scenario is ridiculous to start with. Same with all desert island scenarios. (My response to desert island scenario questions: I will tell you what I would do on a desert island once you introduce me to someone you know who was stuck on a desert island).

3 Likes

All utopian thinking is sort of ridiculous, though yeah, And generally can’t be applied to the real world? But I do think they can be helpful in figuring out better ways forward as a society - coming up with ideals that we can strive for. So, I’m on the side of utopian thought, whether it’s “no more meat tomorrow for the whole world” or “a complete and total end to human conflict.” Of course, everyone’s ideal utopia is probably different, so it becomes out competing utopian ideals…

3 Likes

I once lived in Abu Dhabi. It was an island, and definitely the desert. It was harsh living. For food, my family had to go the supermarket weekly! Sometimes twice in one week.

18 Likes

What part of “we stopped eating meat” implies “dogs stop eating meat”? Are you a dog? Does “we” imply “humans and dogs”? Why did you not ask about lions and geckos? Are those included in “we” too? Or is “we” defined as “mammals who live in houses” and if so, where do outside cats fall?

5 Likes

8 Likes

Why do I love that GIF so much?

8 Likes

They don’t fall at all, and that’s the whole problem. I say we start arming songbirds to fight back!

Also, did the podcast fail to mention there is no way this could happen in a democracy? But I hear that constitution-killing tyrant Obama is planning to sign an executive order banning meat for everybody except his liberal buddies, of which I am one, fortunately. So we shall grow strong and tall, while our opponents weaken and perish. RAWWR!

5 Likes

Because Giles? Do you love it more than the late owl one? EVERYONE loves that one!

4 Likes

Um… If humans were to stop eating meat, I assume it would happen on the basis of “raising and killing animals for meat is wrong.” Dogs are almost entirely dependent on us for nutrition (unlike cats or lions which can take care of themselves). So if we stop butchering animals for meat, where will the dog food come from?

10 Likes