What Would Happen if We Stopped Eating Meat?

We will feed them dead humans, of course. Priority for cats, who, although invariably cute, are obligate carnivores.

7 Likes

It’s okay, because they all go to heaven.

4 Likes

Ok, it didn’t come up in the podcast, but I just want to put an idea out there: there is a future in human manure. Gross? Not any more than other animal manure, in my mind.

2 Likes

They can indeed do well on a plant-based diet (with lots of supplements to make up for the iron and amino acids they won’t get from the meat they’d naturally be eating). Dogs are omnivores, technically, but it’s more accurate to say they’re carnivores who can supplement their diet with veggies.

12 Likes

The Chinese and Mark Watney would agree.

4 Likes

Only after we starve them to death.

On a more serious note, there are quite a few possible reasons for vegetarianism that animal rights. Health is one. Environmentalism is another. There’s even a few vegetarian religions. None of these would ban dog food, although it might get expensive.

2 Likes

Also… a past!

6 Likes

But cats can’t.

5 Likes

according to the order of articles i’m lead to believe that after you stop eating meat you get buried in a miniature fairy graveyard

2 Likes

One thing not really touched on here is cheese. When you consider all the very different cheeses made in the world (mostly Europe, granted), and the cultures surrounding them, to ban that reminds me of when a language disappears, so we’d be homogenizing the world.

What if we all just ate a special factory-made slurry that had the absolute minimum of environmental impact, and was designed to provide all our nutritional needs?

5 Likes

Like they are going to wait until we die? Unlikely.

The cats will take care of themselves through carefully planned “accidents” around stairs and videos to distract us from oncoming traffic.

5 Likes

Thankfully humans die all of the time. Surely someone is dying just now, but his body will go to waste.

2 Likes

In the 19th century foxhounds were fed largely on a vegetarian diet, says my copy of Notitia Venatica*. The basis of their food was porridge (oatmeal or barley) with added vegetables and a small amount of meat. Plus, of course, dead foxes.
Foxes are mainly carnivores but will eat root vegetables.

*I hasten to add, I do not hunt foxes, I agree with Oscar Wilde on the subject. But I do hunt interesting old books.

4 Likes

Also:

1 Like

3 Likes

An interesting point. We know vegetarians who use milk. How do you get milk? And we know a vegetarian who drinks milk but won’t wear leather shoes. Immortal cows?

The cow-veal-milk system is critical for organic and eco-friendly diary farmers. We have a sustainable level of cattle grazing our community-owned field which keeps it viable. My own view fwiw of farming is that it should be sustainable and animals should be well treated; it’s not as if herbivores mostly die of old age in the wild.
But the word is sustainable, and in my world there’s no place for 32oz steaks.

10 Likes

15 Likes

Yes, I can’t defend huge mechanized factory slaughterhouses, nor egg factories with the chickens crammed into cages, but I see nothing immoral about having your own chicken coop for the eggs, or a small dairy that treats its cows right. But a great the mass of the world’s human population lives in cities, and so rely on meat and dairy from factories.

4 Likes

I doubt that it is “most”, but I don’t have data on that. I do, however have cattle, which have reliably reproduced annually without any encouragement from us.

4 Likes

FTFY. You can Google for more information or you can actually talk to a vet. Once the vet has (hopefully) finished slapping you, they can provide more complete information.

I’ll defend a human’s right to be a vegetarian, vegan, whatever you call someone on a “Paleolithic” diet, whatever, but let the dogs (optimized for meat) and cats (obligate carnivores) eat meat.

11 Likes