As summer gas prices boom remember that Costco gas is just fine

Originally published at: As summer gas prices boom remember that Costco gas is just fine | Boing Boing

5 Likes

its made of people !

5 Likes

The closest Costco here just had its plans for adding pumps approved. While no word on pricing it’s the queueing that’s going to be a beast: “This members-only gas station will allow 18 vehicles to pump gas simultaneously while up to 24 others wait in line.”

Costcos around here are known to be zoos on normal days so we’ll see how that all works out for convenience. Especially if the price is equal to what you are seeing in LA.

6 Likes

and a standards board-approved detergent package, so that’s fine.

1 Like

its made of clean people !

18 Likes

I use the app “gas buddy”, it’s crowd supported data keeps you in the loop for the lowest prices where ever you are. And you guessed it, that’s Costco.

8 Likes

gas buddy is my go-to when traveling. Especially when I’m trying to seek out E85 for the flex-fuel 2003 Z06…~110 Octane? and up to a full dollar cheaper than 93 gas? yes please!

Thankfully, my local Casey’s put in E15 and E85 right about the time I made the conversion. Saves me driving all over hell’s half acre to find it as my ‘standard’ fuel.

ETA: For the E85 enthusiasts, esp in the midwest, your local Co-op can often be a source even when everyone else in town is straight pump gas only.

4 Likes

All my old school hot rod friends use this for high octane fuel searches, it works like a charm.

6 Likes

The gas may get people closer to the stores and the goods within, but Costco makes the greatest proportion (by far) of its money on memberships, not cheap M&Ms and double-A batteries. You pay $65 to $150 a year to ‘belong’ to Costco. The cheap gas isn’t quite as cheap that way. Yes, you must have a Costco card to buy their gasoline.

2 Likes

I’m a Gas Buddy user, whenever and wherever I’m in a situation where getting Costco gas isn’t going to be possible.

Costco is always the best price, hands down. Not as much of a variance as in California, but still solid savings.

5 Likes

No. It’s made of old trees, so that’s all ok, then.

2 Likes

No, that’s coal.
Oil is old dinosaurs - OMG, what if dinosaurs were people?

8 Likes

Cheap pet medication makes the membership worth it. My dog’s meds cost $2/day at the local pharmacy. Costco sells me 2 months for $9.

6 Likes

D’oh! I nearly wrote dinosaurs but figured trees would be more ironic. :wink:

4 Likes

That’s cool.

4 Likes

Are you sure you’re not a television executive?

11 Likes

Wait, do people actually worry about bad gasoline?

3 Likes

I’m just as big of a cheapskate as the next guy but I’ve noticed that people can get especially weird when it comes to saving money on gasoline. If the Costco is conveniently located and doesn’t have a crazy long line, then it sounds like a good option. But a lot of people are willing to drive 20 minutes out of their way and wait way too long (sometimes 45 minutes or so) to save $.80/gallon or less. So for a 14 gallon fill-up you’d potentially save about $11. If I had to travel 20 minutes out of my way and wait 45 minutes for free money that someone was handing out, it would have to be more than $11 to be worth my while. But YMMV.

8 Likes

You failed to mention the best feature that Costco fueling stations offer over all others…
their pumps are designed to reach either side of your vehicle, meaning it doesn’t matter which pump you queue up for, you can always choose the shortest lane.

2 Likes

Yes. Well, some of them.
Don’t ask me why, there are usually a lot less refineries than brands of petrol stations in any given area…

3 Likes