Asian stereotypes in the otherwise excellent Daredevil

Thank you…in my classes most students are Japanese, but there are Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Indian, Sri Lankan, and Pakistani…that the “Asian” label lumps them all together has always struck me as insane.

1 Like

Do you have some evidence for this? There’s enough logic there for it to work as an interesting theory, but saying that modern zombie movies are definitely, irrefutably a cryptoracist smokescreen for anti-Muslim sentiment seems like a hell of a stretch. It’s just as probable that 28 Days Later was a surprise hit and Hollywood set out to copy it because that’s what Hollywood does.

Tidily rolling up anti-Muslim and Yellow Peril sentiments also seems like a stretch. There’s certainly some overlap there, but Yellow Peril is mainly “they’re taking our jobs, they’re taking over our economy, they’re going to outbreed us until they control everything.” Anti-Muslim stuff is more like “they’re all God-maddened murderers with no fear of death who are plotting to kill us all.” Those are pretty different stereotypes.

2 Likes

Yes, the closest they come to being individuals or a group is when one of them is the protagonist’s girlfriend. I never agreed with the idea that they represented communists or some other group…they were a more dangerous version of “the birds”.

1 Like

Nobu isn’t actually a ninja. That’s just what others keep calling him when they can’t figure out WTF he is.

So the main characters becoming friends with the Honduran (?) lady, helping her out as a plot point, having dinner with her, being broken up by her later death (and feeling guilt over it), etc. etc. is not some kind of diversity?

And it’s worth mentioning that the boundary between Asia and Europe is completely arbitrary. They’re on the same continental shelf.

Let’s just go by who has better food.

1 Like

Not so much “grey” as “variant shades of brown”… (yes, even “White” people…).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.