¡Ask a Mexican! tackles BurritoGate

Everyone knows that Frankfurters are from Hamburg.

3 Likes

Are breakfast croissants and bagels still OK for Wawa to sell?

1 Like

Haha okay yes I should have phrased that more carefully. I did not forget bush tucker - rather bush tucker’s ownership is of a culture so divorced from my own that I certainly couldn’t claim a born right to it that would prevent my marketing it from being regarded as appropriation. But fair call, implying that it is “not australia” coukd be offensive.

Fun fact - last Indigenous community I worked in was up in Broome. There was a large number of Japanese and Malaysian pearl divers 2-3 generations ago brought in to the community. Due to a mixture of intermarriage and cultural exposure there was a shift in cooking styles amongst some of the local Aboriginal population. I befriended an elderly Aboriginal lady who would hunt and fish in the traditional fashion - then use the ingredients to make a stew or curry served over rice.

1 Like

Around Toronto, we’d welcome any food cart that wasn’t hotdogs. (We were hoping for some of those taco trucks after Hillary didn’t win.)

5 Likes

I favour good, decent, traditional British food; like a chicken tikka doner kebab in a naan, with chips.

5 Likes

You’ll have a hard time convincing me that my understanding of Spanish is failing me here. It’s my primary language after all.
This is one of those things that gets lost in translation, to the uninitiated “pendejo” just means stupid, but you have to be careful how you say it. And the way it’s used here, directed with vitriol is dismissive of them as women.
The problem is pendejo is a nasty way to call someone stupid and is only used with a wink between friends, as hyperbole to dismiss something out of hand or to call someone a jerk.
This is where sexism in Mexico comes into play. To call a man pendejo is to call him an asshole, for a man to call a woman that word wouldn’t mean the same thing, it’s just not used that way.

Men only use the word with women if they are close enough that it would be understood in context as “dummy”, any other time it is used to dehumanize. In this context it is used to mean “stupid slut”

This is Mexican Spanish, and it is entirely possible that the author doesn’t have the same understanding of the use of the word pendejo as I do, but from the vulgar tone in the rest of the Spanish he used in the article I suspect he does and interjects Spanish to encrypt layers of meaning that will only be deciphered by the Mexican readership.

5 Likes

So, he’s using (((Spanish))) then?

Pendejo has different connotations in different countries, in some places its pretty bland, in Mexico it’s fighting words.
There’s even a few places where it means child.

2 Likes

I never said you were racist, but the thinking that only a Japanese person can make Japanese food “correctly” because “reasons” is definitely prejudiced at best, racist at worst.

1 Like

Well, to be fair, the Japanese are all about the “proper” way of doing something and have a rich history of meticulous rituals and training for all sorts of things. I mean even each stroke of their Kanji has a right and wrong way.

And I acknowledged that cooking in general is a learned skill, some of it quite difficult.

But if two women with presumably limited skills to start were able to figure it out through watching and broken English - it can’t be so difficult to require an “apprenticeship”.

I was introduced to Kebabs in London and they were quite good!

2 Likes

[quote=“Mister44, post:141, topic:101812”]
Well, to be fair, the Japanese are all about the “proper” way of doing something and have a rich history of meticulous rituals and training for all sorts of things. I mean even each stroke of their Kanji has a right and wrong way.

And I acknowledged that cooking in general is a learned skill, some of it quite difficult.

But if two women with presumably limited skills to start were able to figure it out through watching and broken English - it can’t be so difficult to require an “apprenticeship”.
[/quote]I was just pointing out that extremely simple foods cannot be reduced down to “just” rice or “just” tortillas, because it’s true for family pizzerias and other simple foods. Even old-school diner scrambled eggs used to take obsession to learn back when roadside eateries were more common. There are books devoted to cooking the perfect omelette.

Just because a recipe is simple doesn’t mean that it didn’t take these women who knew how to cook a few months of hard work after piecing together parts of the recipes and techniques - and even then only one of them was the tortilla chef. Dismissing the hours of work even these women took in making tortillas that nearly landed them their own restaurant is what I’m saying is reductive.

There is a reason these tortillas got Kooks praise, and why these tortillas is what Kooks sought to emulate. The burritos were literally acclaimed for their tortillas, which is how the interview even turned towards these women saying they took the recipes from Mexico.

1 Like

Cinco de Mayo is a prime example of cultural appropriation as well because in Mexico that date has historical significance but in the grand scheme of things it’s not a date that Mexico celebrates. It’s only really celebrated in the US for… some reason? Because it’s a good excuse to bust out all the accessories of a Mexican caricature while drinking beer i guess?

In Venezuela it’s a fairly standard insult, but what varies greatly is context. If a friend calls you pendejo he’s calling you a dumbass but it’s no big deal. If you’re out and about and some random asshat calls you pendejo some people might be inclined to kick their ass.

2 Likes

But I’d argue that the real crown jewel of SoCal fast food is the Jack in the Box taco—a greasy, mushy crescent of nitrates and other salty ingredients that will probably be outlawed in 50 years when we discover it causes cancer.

I think i’d rather just get diarrhea spontaneously.

some racist assholes created a list of places of business in portland anyone in the area should consider patronising:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJuHMuAeuHxy-c4nyp6NLghhrCdZYO7I5kDGSt22Ie8/htmlview#

Does it solely consist of Cracker Barrel locations?

3 Likes

No it’s a list of business owned by white people with the temerity to enjoy the food of other cultures. I don’t know what Cracker Barrel is.

If you go to Scotland, avoid attempting to devour a “Munchy Box”. :smiley:

4 Likes