¡Ask a Mexican! tackles BurritoGate

What’s that slaw? I’ve not seen it before in something like this.

1 Like

Apparently, “slaw” is Scottish for “vegetables”. One of your five a day.

2 Likes

It’s a restaurant named after a derogatory term for the people who eat there.

1 Like

That looks kinda like a Garbage Plate from upstate NY

3 Likes

Cultural Appropriation!!! :wink:

3 Likes

From my reading of that google doc, your cries of racism sure seem a lot more like white tears. Go on ahead, though, keep calling POC racists…

2 Likes

The only time I’ve been all the veg was root vegetables like carrots and swede.

1 Like

I’m not calling people of colour racists, that would be racist, I’m calling these people of colour racist.

Are we talking the Americans or the Mexicans? The Mexicans had their own restaurant, and it appears, though it isn’t super clear from the article, that more than one place had the same or similar method. Certainly who ever pioneered it spent time, or more likely it was a generational progression with people adding or removing elements. Or even possibly someone lucked on to it once and it was passed down.

My moms mac and cheese and the frosting her whole family uses for red velvet, and my aunts sugar cookies are unique compared to anything else I have ever tasted (Though IIRC all of them are more or less from cookbooks, though older ones.)

ANYWAY - I wasn’t trying to take away any accomplishments from either the originators or the borrowers. My original comments were that 1) language like “spying” and “sneaking” were exaggerations. and 2) that an actual apprenticeship wasn’t necessary. That isn’t to say something is easy or hard or what ever - the fact they did what they did shows what they did was enough to glean what they needed and then add to what they must already know, which is making the other 97% of the burrito.

3 Likes

In the US, we call that rutabaga:

We call it by name.

ETA: and the chances are good the vegetable will respond to you

4 Likes

So, white tears. Got it.

3 Likes

No, you clearly don’t. This is a list of businesses that are being called out for no other reason than their owners are the wrong skin colour, this is the very definition of racism. It’s pretty simple really. There are no tears on my end really, I don’t have to put up with much of this nonsense on my side of the planet thankfully, it’s just a bit disappointing is all (though obviously for the people involved it might have very real consequences, like losing their livelihoods, so there might be some real and justified tears on their part, and you’d be a real asshole to start mocking them over it).

2 Likes

What about chains that don’t have a race, except maybe corporocasion?

3 Likes

Flour tortillas are really easy to make, I’ve made them, they were not that great, certainly not as good as my moms tortillas, but they were waaaay better than store bought flour tortillas. It wouldn’t take much for any person from any cultural background to make decent flour tortillas, and trust me, fresh made flour tortillas are great.

The thing that bothers me a little bit is that idea of introducing “authenticity” into making flour tortillas for burritos, which are widely associated in Mexico more with tex-mex cuisine than they are with traditional Mexican cuisine, In fact Mrs Tachin (And she’s not alone in this) doesn’t even consider flour tortillas “real” tortillas. I don’t know enough about this story if this was a selling point for the burritos or if its just how they learnt their recipe for flour tortillas but didn’t really hype it up as part of their business, because that would be a better way to understand where on the scale of cultural appropriation this falls under.

1 Like

You say avoid, I hear enjoy.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I can’t see what’s going on there, too small.

You’re talking about Bronx, right? Or is there more?

YOU WILL DIVULGE YOUR SECRETS.

Actually, no, that’s not the definition of racism, very or otherwise. Racism requires privilege, specifically institutional privilege. In the United States, and here in Portland, the apparatus of institutional privilege is white supremacy. There are plenty of bigots in this country, of all shapes and sizes. Only one class- whites, has the power to impose biases on other classes. That is racism.

No, it’s not simple really. The gains whites have made over the past five centuries at the expense of others via colonialism/imperialism are the foundation of the disparity in the first place. Whether or not you feel you personally contribute to white supremacy doesn’t make a damned bit of difference (hint, you are currently putting yourself in service of it.) You simply can not untangle the wealth of the west from the centuries past. What I do not understand is how whites believe they can fleece the world over an epoch of mass armed conflict, slavery, and extraction and not be asked to pay that back, even according to our own lofty ideals of justice…

Any white person’s place in this world is built upon that foundation. This includes myself. Completely untangling the wealth and power we’ve justly earned from that we’ve stolen through global domination is a long and complicated problem. The place to start is within yourself, which is not all that difficult to find.

What disappoints me most is that in the year 2017 Donald Fucking Trump is our goddamned president seriously wtf and we still have to talk about this shit. All the techno wizardy in the world, the so-called gifts of the white man to the world, well la di da. Why do westerners even bother with philosophy besides ur-fascist irrational nonsense? We don’t apply it to anyone else but us whiteys. FFS. We’re the most reactionary humans on the damn planet, and this and the companion thread is chock full of it. Funny, this is pretty much exactly the same sentiment that @Missy_Pants made in the gendered objectification thread re: male response to women/feminism. Reactionary and defensive.

Awww, so concern for the poor white people. You’re blatantly ignoring the real purpose of the doc in the first place- to highlight restaurants owned by people of color so that they might actually enjoy some of the economic benefits of their own cultural production. Ya know, to keep the people of color you’re so obviously unconcerned about from losing their livelihoods.

I wish I had more time to engage on this than I do at the moment. One of the things I’ve taken away from the various people of color that I’ve been reading, listening to, watching, listening is that I need to confront basic white people shit more often. Because I do not have time to write more, I’ll leave a collection of links that I’ve compiled in addition to the recommendations made by the authors of the google doc.

bell hooks- Eating the Other
Essay by Ijeoma Olua on cultural appropriation
Comic by Shing Yin Khor
Essay by Soliel Ho

Note on Commercial Theatre by Langston Hughes
You’ve taken my blues and gone
You sing 'em on Broadway
And you sing 'em in Hollywood Bowl,
And you mixed 'em up with symphonies
And you fixed 'em
So they don’t sound like me.
Yep, you done taken my blues and gone.
You also took my spirituals and gone.
You put me in Macbeth and Carmen Jones
And all kinds of Swing Mikados
And in everything but what’s about me
But someday somebody’ll
Stand up and talk about me,
And write about me
Black and beautiful
And sing about me,
And put on plays about me!
I reckon it’ll be
Me myself!
Yes, it’ll be me.

8 Likes

Yes, Bronx is excellent. Also -
Sicilian Thing
Pizzeria Luigi
Pizzeria Bruno
Urbn
Buona Forchetta
The latter is a trattoria but the pizza is great. As is everything on the menu. It’s the closest I’ve ever found like the little places we ate at in Florence and Lucca.
I have a couple slices at Sicilian Thing once a week.