Astounding coincidence: Intel's CEO liquidated all the stock he was legally permitted to sell after learning of catastrophic processor flaws

I have absolutely NO idea of what this chart tells me. You could try giving hints…

In terms of infrastructure there are a few places that could do it (Samsung, Qualcom) but the patent quagmire that is x86 would keep them out even if they wanted to get into that market. They need extensive licenses from both Intel and AMD (Remember that even Intel needs to license patents from AMD because the modern x86 architecture was invented by AMD while Intel was trying to make Itanium a thing)

2 Likes

Precisely. That’s why I said that the tablet migration is the only real threat to the Intel/AMD duopoly right now. There’s more than Samsung and Qualcom who have enough infrastructure and cash to give it a shot, but that’s a very very big risk without a guarantee that they’ll be able to actually put a dent in that market. They’d be much better off throwing that money into further Android development and trying to unseat Windows as the primary desktop OS.

2 Likes

Sorry, should have also put the link that the other guy posted where I sorted this -

Here’s the header with the automatic trades to compare them:

42 PM
49 PM

So, a sell ten times bigger than any of his previous sales; and one that leaves him at exactly the mandated minimum of 250000 shares.

I’m not an expert on US insider trading legislation or anything, but that does seem fishy to me, even though there is a pattern of automated sales around the same time in the past.

2 Likes

Google is doing just that with Chrome. I believe that my Chromebook was patched in December. And at some point this year it will be able to run multiple Android apps simultaneously, at which point it does become a long term competitor for Windows.
The ARM design worst affected seems to be the A75. Earlier ones seem to be relatively easily mitigated and Google says that Android is in any case harder to attack than iOS. We’ll see.

1 Like

If ever there was a case for “burning all the lifeboats,” here it is!

My CPU (i7-4700) is not affected by the flaw, but it was fun to get the answer.

It was made by Intel in the last 20 years and it isn’t a early generation Atom, so it is affected. The performance hit will be minor at worst for most people though, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

2 Likes

I hate to say this to folks…but it doesn’t work like you see in the movies. CEOs do not get bad news and then make a phone call screaming “SELL SELL SELL!” nor do they get good news and make said call screaming “BUY BUY BUY”

Reality: They all have firms or specific investment consultants who run and manage these accounts for them. The offering is usually called something like “executive services” where a team of consultants and analysts work directly for the record keeper of the held account but act on the behest of the individual executive.

Point is…Krzanich probably had no idea the sale of the stock was happening until after it actually happened when he received a confirmation notice of some kind.

Did he have no idea that the amount of shares sold went up by an order of magnitude, from between 60,000-80,000 to nearly 900,000, leaving him with the bare minimum to remain CEO of Intel?

That is what looks suspicious, not just the date of the trade.

3 Likes

I do not disagree that it looks suspicious. Truth be told…any time a senior exec makes any kind of trade it looks suspect to me.

Just stating what the reality is (and I state this from my actual experience for the past 18 years in this field).

Of course, there’s always the possibility he’s selling in advance of other news he thinks is going to cause the stock price to drop. Which could be “I’m retiring/taking another job at xxx.” It would explain both why he sold that amount (he’s not going to need it in the future), and why he might have thought the price would drop (hubris). I have no idea if insider trading laws cover the insider information being “I quit” though.

Sure, but Intel missed the mobile boat. I don’t think any of their processors are in any major phones being sold, and that’s where the growth is.

Yeah, Intel really messed up in the mobile market, which will have a multiplier into the IoT and smart device arenas.

The mobile market isn’t where all the growth is though, think of how many servers and other devices your smartphone interacts with every day.

I think it is safe to say our global demand for processors will be increasing for some time as every device in our life contains multiple processors from multiple vendors, same as our computers. the mobile broadband chipset and processor in your phone runs a different os than the smartphone chipset and processor. your computer’s graphics cpu as well as a number of other processors are likely made by other manufacturers. did you know that any sd card reader contains an sd controller hub, even those built into phones and computers, which have their own processor and embedded os separate from the parent os they interface with. not only that most sd cards themselves contain embedded microcontroller which is typically a heavily modified 8051 or ARM CPU and run their own code.

The rabbit hole is deep and things just keep getting curiouser and curiouser…

Speaking of rabbits and hacking into sd cards…
https://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3554

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.