Jeff Bezos sold $4.1 billion of Amazon shares in one week. Why?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/11/jeff-bezos-sold-4-1-billion-o.html

3 Likes

I suppose it’s a combination of anticipating the on-going uncertainty over the China trade war, over the effects of coronavirus on manufacturing, over the election (and the outcome’s potential impact on government contracts for AWS).

All that, combined with a sale of this size, makes a significant dip in price over the coming months very likely. He’s selling high but could very well buy right in again when it’s low.

22 Likes

giphy|nullxnull

18 Likes

Or he might simply be diversifying his investments.

5 Likes

I don’t think he’s going to sit on the cash. But he’s selling now for a reason.

8 Likes

He wanted to splurge on a vaction?

12 Likes

He probably saw some things he liked at T.J. Max for his house.

13 Likes

He may want to use the money to buy shiny new toys.

7 Likes

Politics? It seems like the popular sport for plutocrats these days.

10 Likes

Maybe he’s going to buy Fox News.

13 Likes

Maybe, but oof that is a dangerously fine line to walk. When a CEO sells & buys his own stock short term like that, he runs some serious risk of being accused of stock manipulation, especially with his feud with Trump and the SEC under Trump’s control.

8 Likes

That would be AMAZING beyond WORDS!!! Do it Bezos!!

3 Likes

well yeah…I mean that’s what you do…if you want to make money and all.

2 Likes

After hearing about Bill Gates’ (fake) plans to buy a mega yacht, Jeff probably wanted to buy a new boat to make sure his was bigger.

3 Likes

He has openly stated that he’s funding Blue Origin by selling Amazon shares.

10 Likes

Given his position and the amount of Amazon stock involved, there are additional benefits to buying back in for the long-term rather then just picking up another bargain (which I’m sure he’s doing in the short-term).

3 Likes

Duh, because dragons only ever work to increase the hoard.

9 Likes

He’s just freeing up some cash for his man-cave and a white cat.

22 Likes

And he sold $2.8 billion last July, a just slightly lower amount of stock.

Sold $1billion in Nov 17, about half as much stock.

6 Likes

Psssh, I once sold off 3% of my net worth in assets in one day. I miss that bike…

28 Likes