Astounding footage of deep sea "spook fish" with a transparent head

Originally published at: Astounding footage of deep sea "spook fish" with a transparent head | Boing Boing

5 Likes

We learned about this fish in our "“A Day in the Life” book… My daughters got pretty obsessed with Barreleyes and Anglerfish after that.

5 Likes

They’re such beautiful fish. I think it was actually here that I first saw one of these and I’ve been pretty fascinated with them since (to be fair, it doesn’t take much for me to become obsessed with a fish).

I never get tired of seeing how creatures adapt to living in places like that.

6 Likes

Wowzer! That was cool.

2 Likes

Anglerfish are awesome.

If your kids like deep sea weirdness, check out this book called “The Deep”, an amazing coffee table book.

I wish they had some sample pics, but trust me it is worth it. They also have a little depth counter on there sides of the pages showing how far down each critter was found, and IIRC has the name, measurements, location, etc.

6 Likes

What’s the evolutionary advantage for a transparent head like that?!

2 Likes

You can see predators and prey above you. Useful when you live at the edge of where sunlight filters through the water and can see the dark shapes above you.

2 Likes

Those eyes are pretty huge and may be delicate; with a transparent head they are protected. Just a guess - but in any case, it’s a definite “WTF, evolution?” thing

2 Likes

Per the Wikipedia article on this fish:
“It has a large, dome-shaped, transparent head. This protects its sensitive eyes from the nematocysts (stinging cells) of the siphonophores, from which it is believed to steal food.”

2 Likes

It’s much easier to get the hairline level on the back of your neck during pandemic home trims if you can look right through the back.

3 Likes

It is easy to be a pessimist concerning the current state of the environment, but for this fish, things are looking up…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.