Astounding images of trucks hauling massive rotor blades

It doesn’t always go so well.

2 Likes

Yes and no. It’s a pain in the butt but is also relatively routine work, when not done to repair damage. The routes are carefully planned, often by both human and AI, to minimize this as much as possible.

1 Like
2 Likes

This project matches some of your details.

In this case it was a Oil Sands Coker. The environment won’t pollute itself.

3 Likes

It looks like giant cigarettes.

1 Like

I’d be interested to know just what the logistics are like to move one of those huge tunnel boring machines on the scale of the Gotthard or Lötschberg base tunnels. Those have to be dismantled and reassembled where needed (sometimes from one tunnel bore to the other). Are the pieces too big for ordinary hauling?

1 Like

I mean, it’s not unlikely that the transport firm commissioned drone footage for their promotional materials. It’s equally possible that an excited local grabbed their Phantom when they saw them come through town. As common as drones are these days I find that part the least surprising.

2 Likes

There is of course some false perspective in play here. The propeller looks bigger because it is closer to the camera. A standard drone with a Go-Pro (fair assumption) flown close to the tip would create this effect.

msegF

3 Likes

Has Donny Boy demanded closeup and/or wide-angle shots that make his little hands look larger? Or is that off-topic here?

The one I saw was back in the winter of 1994, so probably not this one, but I’m sure these kinds of heavy industrial machine transports happen a few times each year. There are probably multiple companies that specialize in transporting gigantic equipment.

1 Like

Define “ordinary hauling”…

The machines are more or less bespoke solutions for a specific task/project; either variations of a standard type or a new type that maybe has to meet unusual requirements. Being able to get the machine from the factory to the work site is always one of the design parameters.
Components that can be transported by train/lorry is the norm. The “last mile” to most project sites is usually either a place in the middle of nowhere without any infrastructure, or somewhere crowded with too much existing infrastructure to use really large rigs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.