Astronaut accidentally dropped a tool bag into orbit and you can see it with binoculars (video)

Originally published at: Astronaut accidentally dropped a tool bag into orbit and you can see it with binoculars (video) | Boing Boing

6 Likes
10 Likes

Binoculars?

12 Likes

16 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

12 Likes

As it descends rapidly, the bag is likely to disintegrate when it reaches an altitude of around 70 miles (113 kilometers) over Earth.

Are they made of some exotic material that stands a chance of surviving partially the reentry?

6 Likes

Just look at it!

8 Likes

Look out, Sally!

10 Likes

That’s basically how Sweden launched their first satellite in the 1960ies. Sort of.

7 Likes

We have a traditional rule here about dropping your tools from a height, when people are working underneath you.

That astronaut owes everyone on Earth a case of beer.

23 Likes

But will they dock her pay? :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I hope there isn’t a Irwin Vise Grip in that bag. They can survive anything!

Aliens will arrive on a desolate Earth in a million years, and all that will be left of humanity will be the '92 Corollas and the Irwin Vise Grips

15 Likes

This is both hilarious and cool at the same time.

6 Likes

Waiting for the moment of maximum irony when some poor sap working on his car demands to know where the 10 millimeter socket wrench went, them FOOM!

18 Likes

I don’t need a wrench, but I could use a replacement 10mm socket for one of my ratchet sets. Plus it would be a really cool story to go with it!

14 Likes

Just don’t wish for one while holding a monkey’s paw.

8 Likes

I’ve read that most of the hand tools used on the space station are supplied by Snap-on, which has a standard lifetime warranty on hand tools, so they’d better survive reentry.

17 Likes

I just think it would be cool to have some sort of wrench or hammer or screwdriver made out of titanium or inconel that shows a little melting and damage from landing.

Closest thing I have to that is a bolt from the ejection seat of an SR-71.

That would be a hell of an ad if one of them survived…

9 Likes

neat something GIF

9 Likes

That is cool.

A colleague had a Fluke multimeter that had survived a trip through a lime kiln. Not quite re-entry, but definitely had some scars. He’s show it to apprentices who didn’t yet know the particular points of distinction between a home electronics grade multimeter and an industrial multimeter.

8 Likes