At least 5 million dead worldwide from Covid

A third of Romans were slaves. And they shared sponges in communal restrooms to wipe their asses.

Not sure this is the standard I aspire too.

11 Likes

If your point was to come into a thread where the subject is “FIVE MILLION PEOPLE ARE NEEDLESSLY DEAD and nobody is doing nearly enough to keep the disease from continuing unabated” and say “well, look on the bright side, it could be smallpox and half of your neighbors could be buried in a mass grave”, I think you’ll find that there’s a reason people are being unreceptive to your attitude.

12 Likes

Don’t put words in my mouth. I never said any of that. You’re downplaying the pandemic in the here and now, which is STILL ONGOING. Stop.

9 Likes

Ugh, that mentality; far too common for my tastes.

Just because a problem isn’t as absolutely horrible as it could ever possibly be, that doesn’t make it ‘acceptable.’

That things could always be worse goes without saying; that doesn’t mean we don’t attempt to fix/ameliorate them BEFORE they get so bad that the damage is completely irreparable.

12 Likes

I mean, not nearly as many people were killed in Yugoslavia as during the Holocaust, so it was not that bad, right? /s

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes

It wouldn’t matter if we had a cure for every other disease on Earth. That’s not why this pandemic is a disaster. I suggest you read the article below, since it’s clear you are not getting the message from other responses above. Kudos to @Mindysan33 and @alahmnat for trying to help others catch a clue:

10 Likes

I know what you mean. Where I am it’s not as bad as what you describe, but it’s about as bad as it’s been. Yet a majority seems to be acting as if it’s all over now. :woman_shrugging:t2:
In happier news, I voted today. It was just local stuff, but our paper asked school board committee candidates where they stood on mask mandates, and that made the choices really easy for me. Fingers crossed that enough others felt the same.

Also, I’m really sorry you’re having to deal with this on the front lines. Take care.

8 Likes

I get the sentiment (and have in moments of frustration expressed it myself) but effective healthcare should be available for everyone. Consider that if the US had a national healthcare plan before the Covid-19 crisis, you wouldn’t have so much distrust, conspiracy theories and such a massive number of deaths.

4 Likes

merkin von bankrupt’s dissolving the national pandemic response team was also quite helpful…altho, had he kept it, he doubtless woulda replaced all personnel w/handpick’d anti-science morans.

5 Likes

They would have noticed a strange new disease that was killing a lot of people.

Yes, the Eastern Roman Empire was still Roman

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.