At least 7 still missing after Baltimore bridge collapses into river

Biden said the federal government would rebuild the bridge.

In my opinion, that’s probably the fastest way to get that done but I wonder if the government than goes after the shipping company.

This is from a Newsweek article this morning but I have no idea how it applies to the tragedy. He was talking about larger container ships and losing containers at sea.

Synergy Marine Group’s founder and CEO Rajesh Unni had warned about the dangers that the existing infrastructure posed back in April 2021 when he told Bloomberg, “Traffic on the seas is different from what it was 10 years ago.”

“How do we adapt as an industry?” he asked. “It’s convenient to blame the captain, but we need to look at how the port infrastructure needs to change, how ships transit.”

9 Likes

There probably wasn’t time. I don’t think they have protocols for such black swan events

5 Likes

Marge is on it.

15 Likes

What’s her point? There will be a serious investigation. It’s already underway.

And if it had been an attack they wouldn’t have warned the bridge operators to close it down.

16 Likes

I dont know; it was pretty clear in 1972 that future ships would get bigger and more massive. and supertanker were already a thing, the Idemitsu Maru was build in 1966;

1 Like

ah yes. port infrastructure.
A lot of fretting about how the current generation of US ports won’t be deep enough, and won’t have enough cranes to serve the newer hulks. And how it will cost billions to upgrade.

1 Like

Looks like it’s on the smaller side. But it may be a trick of perspective.

9 Likes

That’s big, but it isn’t stacked to the observation platform with containers.

1 Like

Hey Marge, check if the crew were vaccinated. Maybe they were crossing the border into Baltimore?
Adults will be running the real investigation.

4 Likes

and? it was the bow which crashed into the pillar, and we dont know whats actually in those containers. I would guess a full loaded Idemitsu Maru collision would have a similar catastrophic effect on that bridge. I stand by it; even in 1972 they should have accounted for such an event.

1 Like

Tuesday’s crash was at least the second in just over a month in which a container ship hit a major road bridge, raising questions about the safety standards of increasingly large ships and the ability of bridges around the world to withstand crashes.

On Feb. 22 in Guangzhou, a port in southern China, a much smaller vessel carrying stacks of containers hit the base of a two-lane bridge, causing vehicles to fall. Officials said that five people were killed.

The crashes have also raised questions about whether more ships should be required to be ready to drop anchors quickly during port emergencies, and whether tugboats should accompany more vessels as they enter and leave harbors.

There has not been a final report on the Guangzhou incident, and investigators have barely begun to look at what happened in Baltimore. But ship collision barriers are standard around the support piers of bridges over major waterways like the entrance to Baltimore’s harbor. The Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge in New York City, for example, has massive barriers of concrete and rocks around the bases of the piers that support it.

It was not immediately clear how old the barriers are around the piers that supported the bridge in Baltimore. The bridge was built almost half a century ago and designed before then. Vessels have become considerably larger in that time.

4 Likes

there you go.

where there any?

e/

ohyeah…sort-of-barrier;

barrier

2 Likes

Thanks for that.

Before I watched the video, I thought “how can they tell the ship lost power?” Then I watched it. Oh.

A few jobs back, I worked in thermal power generation - mostly converting waste heat at industrial sites into steam, then steam to electricity. The more useful staff often had a marine engineering background - keeping the power on is a big deal while at sea, and these people had stories of nightmares and miracles far from anyone’s home. None of them had stories about incidents in port like this, though.

edit: tyop

11 Likes

Sort of, maybe, hopefully.

In that street view, you can see the Verrazzano-Narrows pier and it’s surrounding barrier. If you pan left, you can also see a huge ship. I’m not sure I would place a bet on the barrier stopping the ship from compromising the tower. The wider span between piers and shallows near the piers probably provide better protection. After all, a ship that’s grounded isn’t going to hit the pier.

If a ship impact compromised an entire pier of the Verrazzano-Narrows bridge, that bridge would collapse for the entire span too. The road deck is hanging from cables, without the pier the cables would slack and everything fall.

They look like they’re designed to deflect a head on impact. While this impact kind of snuck in from the side. Some of the aerial photos show the ship just slipping past that barrier up front.

It does feel inadequate. For instance, a ring of the barriers present instead of just two. Far enough apart to get a maintenance vessel through but close enough to prevent a larger one. Maybe eight, ten, or twelve barriers in a circle.

3 Likes

They’re overlooking the fact that in addition to Guangzho this happened only a few days ago in a Turkish port. I remember seeing the video and thinking I wouldn’t see something so crazy and movie-like in a long time…

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/casualties/out-of-control-container-ship-crashes-into-three-cranes/2-1-1613625

9 Likes

Here’s some more about the science behind the collapse and why it was so catastrophic.

12 Likes

Here’s another picture. You can see the little deflector that was missed.

15 Likes

12 Likes

that’s part of what i was wondering. i don’t know anything about ships, i’d always just assumed tugs guided them through tricky or dangerous spots

maybe it’s a thing about expense? ( and if so, how many tugboats would the new bridge have paid for? )

6 Likes

It’s not a particularly tricky spot. It’s a dead-straight shipping lane of the kind ships navigate all the time. This really is a freak accident, possibly made worse by a panicked response.

15 Likes