Pittsburgh bridge collapse sends morning traffic into ravine

Originally published at: Pittsburgh bridge collapse sends morning traffic into ravine | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Also sure to get the tin foil hat set in a tizzy

31 Likes

Hopefully no-one was under it.

Sad that we have to worry about this. The Greatest Country on Earth™ gives less consideration to making sure that all its citizens are housed than it does to maintaining its infrastructure (which, as we see, isn’t a lot).

37 Likes

Welp, this is what happens when you ignore public infrastructure for decades because “it’s wasteful”… This is yet more of the GOPs BS cut to the bone philosophy on display.

At least no one was killed.

38 Likes

Pittsburgher here. This ought to make this interesting:

As of 9:45 this morning, his visit was still on schedule. We shall see…

23 Likes

Why would he change it? The infrastructure bill was passed and it has a sh*t ton of money in it to fix these kinds of things. That’s the point.

29 Likes

My intern texted he’d be late today because of “bridge traffic.” I’m giving him bonus points for his understated dignity, since his initial text did not mention why traffic might be a bit backed up and I had to specifically ask him before he confirmed this is his route. That’s stoic.

39 Likes

Is your intern British? Because that’s some first-rate British understatement.

22 Likes

Minnesotan. So similarly unflappable and partial to cheese but a much less posh accent.

34 Likes

Minnesotan? He’s not gunna be fussed by a little road collapse. Here in Minnesota our entire freeways fall into the Mississippi

26 Likes

It is all about the priorities. Bridges aren’t quite up there.

18 Likes

There is some spare change around here somewhere…

Maybe if trump had passed a similar bill in the before time this bridge in Pa. might have been fixed. (We all know only if the bridge was to be serviced by a trump crony and there was grift involved.)

19 Likes

Uff da!

12 Likes

Yeah… because it’s not like there hasn’t already been legislation last year to address this very issue… /s

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/politics/infrastructure-bill-explained/index.html

:woman_shrugging:

15 Likes

I guess those cables didn’t do the trick.

So, we are at the stage of idiocracy where we’re tying building structures together with wires…

19 Likes

the steel city, huh? yeesh.

6 Likes

The Millennium Tower has entered the chat.

26 Likes

But freedom…

13 Likes

They “fixed” this potential issue in my town by fencing off the overpass pylons halfway up the embankments on every overpass in the city. Surely they have solved homelessness in so doing.

(/s, for those wondering.)

11 Likes

Indeed. This is what taxes are for.

11 Likes