"We have fire coming out those manholes": Interstate highway bridge collapses after truck fire in Philadelphia

Originally published at: "We have fire coming out those manholes": Interstate highway bridge collapses after truck fire in Philadelphia | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Know your bridges.

11 Likes

What I find amazing is the video showing how folks are continuing to drive over the “buckled, but not yet fallen” section of bridge on the other side, like “I’m gonna be late for work if I don’t chance it” as smoke billows out from underneath the overpass. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

On a Sunday. Probably the best-case day of the week for a bridge collapse, at least. In my part of the country the equivalent is people driving their 4WD pickups into flooded intersections because that’s the route they always take to work and their trucks can drive through anything, just look at the commercials.

13 Likes

There was that one fellow who – I hope just by panic, not analysis – drove into the gap on the Bay Bridge after Loma Prieta.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Huh. If i’m correctly examining Google Maps, this appears to be not far from Four Seasons Total Landscaping …

5 Likes

I’ve driven over that section of bridge countless times on my way to Trenton. Seriously glad no one was hurt.

It’s gonna be month before that bridge is repaired.

12 Likes

Same here. It’s my main route to NJ.

This is giving me flashbacks to previous incidents with the PA Turnpike bridge and an I-95 overpass. Of course, it’s prime festival season in Philly. :grimacing: I’m sure TPTB will be throwing a lot of resources into repairs.

5 Likes

A response in the thread says it all:

8 Likes

Nice soundtrack.

7 Likes

I saw a video where they were two bumps the car went over, as it was already starting to buckle.

The police probably should have shut down that stretch of highway as soon as the fire department got there and could tell it was a bad fire.

The smoke alone could could cause and accident as well.

In the Flint Hills when they are burning off the prairie, (either by design, or mother nature), you will have to pull off the side of the road as the smoke gets too thick.

4 Likes

OMG! Im glad everyone is safe.
Can also relate to the woman’s frustration about people just wanting to stop and watch it. FFS, people, if you don’t mean to stay in the flow of traffic, pull the fuck over! Don’t simply stop in the middle of the thoroughfare. Get outta the way!

5 Likes

As many of us feared, the driver of the gasoline tanker truck who lost control on the sharpish curve leading to the underpass died.

Perhaps, like the 1983 crash near 30th Street Station on I -76 , investigators will find the truck’s suspension breaking will be the case.

RIP

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.