Follow-up

Remember that bridge in Pittsburgh?

The plans to address problems in Philadelphia made me do a double-take. Context for this story appears below, but adding a toll on I-95 in this location makes me :angry: for a few reasons:

Announcements of federal and state funds to address issues with PA bridges that cause emergency closures on toll roads and the interstate itself gave some hope. However, Pennsylvania has already been dealing with rising debt and lawsuits due to poor funding and toll revenue spending practices. Public focus tends to fall on the state’s history of using funds from tolls and taxes for things like sports stadiums instead of using that money to maintain bridges and roads.

One of those stadiums, Lincoln Financial Field (The Linc) is the first thing drivers see at the base of the Girard Point Bridge on I-95, so putting a toll there is particularly galling. Drivers trying to avoid it would have to use another bridge that’s in even worse shape. The alternate route also includes traffic signals, fewer lanes, and a ride across most of South Philly. :woman_facepalming:t4:

To make a bad situation even worse, they’d use EZ-Pass, which costs 140% more for drivers who do not have accounts. They also have problems with uncollected tolls and tech-related penalties with electronic systems:

10 Likes