Follow-up

(and because it’s EEVBlog, it gets quite technical)

Remember that bridge in Pittsburgh?

The plans to address problems in Philadelphia made me do a double-take. Context for this story appears below, but adding a toll on I-95 in this location makes me :angry: for a few reasons:

Announcements of federal and state funds to address issues with PA bridges that cause emergency closures on toll roads and the interstate itself gave some hope. However, Pennsylvania has already been dealing with rising debt and lawsuits due to poor funding and toll revenue spending practices. Public focus tends to fall on the state’s history of using funds from tolls and taxes for things like sports stadiums instead of using that money to maintain bridges and roads.

One of those stadiums, Lincoln Financial Field (The Linc) is the first thing drivers see at the base of the Girard Point Bridge on I-95, so putting a toll there is particularly galling. Drivers trying to avoid it would have to use another bridge that’s in even worse shape. The alternate route also includes traffic signals, fewer lanes, and a ride across most of South Philly. :woman_facepalming:t4:

To make a bad situation even worse, they’d use EZ-Pass, which costs 140% more for drivers who do not have accounts. They also have problems with uncollected tolls and tech-related penalties with electronic systems:

10 Likes
7 Likes

Aidy Bryant Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes

I hate tolls. They are pretty much the most regressive form of taxation.

6 Likes

To go one better, the UK charges VAT on some tolls, making this a regressive tax on a regressive charge.

4 Likes

Inspired by Don’t you dare turn off this digital lamp!, I put my multi-user sound board up on GitHub.

I still have a copy running on a Pi, but only for now.
http://umbraxenu.no-ip.biz:8080/home

1 Like
3 Likes
6 Likes
11 Likes
4 Likes

Netflix continues testing ways to stop password sharing:

5 Likes
16 Likes

It took this long???

13 Likes

America Sizzler GIF

9 Likes
10 Likes

oh i like that! and there was someone else on there when i checked it out which was pretty cool.

it’d also be neat if there was a version of all loops and “pedals” - like a big cacophony that’s always playing. something that people are “competing” to add or remove madness from.

3 Likes

ugh. a fitting one for Fuck Today, Continued as well :confused:

4 Likes

Organized gangs of kids…

7 Likes

I guess he didn’t leave with the money.

“ Days before Afghanistan fell to the Taliban last August, Ashraf Ghani, the Afghan president, was “welcomed” to the United Arab Emirates. He was alleged to have taken with him $169m, from his country’s treasury.”

6 Likes