Protests at Beverly Hills hotel over owner's Sharia law rules

[Permalink]

1 Like

Fixed link:

Good god, I hope every conservative who supported Hobby Lobby is out there counter-protesting in support of this poor manā€™s ability to practice is religion upon other people un-infringed.

14 Likes

You silly. Thatā€™s not the right religion, it shouldnā€™t have freedom!

8 Likes

Kind of a sloppy uniform, all things considered,

1 Like

Wealthy, oil rich Muslim angering Americans? Is this going to end in another ā€œWar of Liberationā€?

What could those ribbons even have been awarded for? Brunei hasnā€™t seen any military action since 1962. I suppose they might have sent troops to assist as U.N. peacekeepers at some point, but you donā€™t get medals for that afaik.

The Sharia thing is probably a sop to forestall objections to the regime by radical Islamists. Itā€™s one of those countries where citizens get a dividend check from the government instead of a tax bill, so the people are unlikely to rock the boat over rarely-enforced draconian laws.

1 Like

Heā€™s got a nice brother, which is where I thought the hotel ownership came fromā€¦

Ribbons for avoiding military conflicts actually sounds like an intriguing idea. Maybe itā€™s us that have it backwards.

10 Likes

Brunei may not have seen any military action since 1962, but by some accounts, the Sultan got a lot of action, at least in the early 90ā€™s.

Jefri wasted a lot of money on rotting cars.

There was an article on this in Slate (I think) showing just how pointless and inane this protest shapes up to be.

Multiple luxury properties are owned by Middle Eastern royalty. And many of the BFFs of the celebrity boycotters regularly perform for 6-figure paydays from these same misogynist dictators, without a whiff of deserved condemnation. Not to mention the folly of boycotting a multi-billionaire who could probably sustain the hotel for decades before experiencing any financial discomfort.

Mainly itā€™s just crapping all over the working stiffs at the hotel who need the paycheck.

3 Likes

And yet I am always hearing conservatives harp on about how ā€œliberals love Muslims.ā€

She had told this story, in much more detail, at The Moth. Itā€™s a great listen.

Lost me right there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.