Brunei has a new law: death by stoning for gay sex

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/27/brunei-has-a-new-law-death-by.html

3 Likes

What the actual fuck.

27 Likes

So. if a man and woman have anal sex that’s fine. If two men or two women have it its “death by stoning”. What if its a man and woman and the man is receiving? Asking for a sultan friend.

15 Likes

Fuck Brunei.
Can’t be bothered to say it in a meme.

22 Likes

I like to invite the Sultan to one of California’s many Pride Parades. Perhaps he’ll muster the courage to be himself.

13 Likes

If you need a hand with that…?
(No physical activities implied :wink:)

9 Likes

Why anyone other than the people doing it should care how people have sex is beyond me. Honestly. I can’t even.

19 Likes

Who the hell is that ruling family to judge the sexual behavior of anyone?!!?

http://www.jillianlauren.com/some-girls/

(And, just to be clear, I’m not slut shaming the book’s author.)

1 Like

I probably need to put a disclaimer first or people will be upset. So there it is: I have no problem with gay sex and would not even consider making it illegal.

But I would like the readers of this article to consider one thing. For stoning you need a crowd willing to kill the victim. That is the very idea. And if find even more upsetting that Brunei expects to find such a crowd than the idea to punish gay sex by death.

2 Likes

If you missed this point in the article, Brunei has a God-ordained monarchy. Saying no to the government when they hand you the first stone to be cast is not an option

20 Likes

See? Mixing government and religion is always a great idea! /ssssss

How come a movement never seems to rise where intolerant assholes are stoned to death? Is it because that’s the only type of person ever in charge?

I think it’s a thick stew of reasons; their “god” and clergy say it’s wrong – they are certain their own buttholes are on the menu and don’t want it to even be an option (“Are you looking at my ass?”) – they get a rush by dictating what other people can and can’t do (and yet “consent” when they want to do something never enters the picture) – they are self-loathing closet cases.

I’m sure that’s only a partial ingredient list.

Only if it’s a stoning required of the public. They could just as easily have executioners handle the whole thing.

I followed through to the article, and there’s a second death option. Whipping to death. So I’m pretty sure they aren’t expecting the public to do the stoning, or the whipping. But not 100%… it’s a crazy fucked up world.

Hey! At least someone pointed out the potential economic fallout of this policy.

“It could have adverse economic effects,” he added. “Talented LGBT employees will migrate abroad, foreign aid and trade is likely to diminish, and tourism revenue will fall as western tourists stay away."

Good idea, appealing to their coffers. Nothing will get a rich person’s attention faster than a penny rolling away.

12 Likes

Brunei is a sultanate. I knew that.

I just think that they would have no trouble finding volunteers for the stones and that is what I find frightening.

2 Likes

Mmm - have you read Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery?

Yeah, unfortunately, getting a group of people whipped up to stone someone for whatever crime is very doable. In fact, if it were legal in America I am sure you could find enough willing participants for what ever crime. One must kill all others in order secure the safety of the state.

12 Likes

That’s actually not new. They’ve been doing it for centuries.

Waiting for the Trump regime to condemn this heinously immoral act. And waiting… Still waiting… :skull_and_crossbones:

6 Likes

I’d say the U.S. should withdraw its ambassador…but guess what?
The position of U.S. Ambassador to Brunei is vacant; other principal embassy officials are listed in the Department’s Key Officers List .

However,
Brunei’s armed forces engage in joint exercises, training programs, and other military cooperation with the United States

Also,
U.S. firms are working in the energy sector, in financial services, and consulting for government projects, and U.S. franchises and brands are opening and thriving in Brunei. Trade between the United States and Brunei in 2016 totaled $628 million. Aircraft procured by Brunei from the United States in recent years include Sikorsky Black Hawk S70i helicopters and Boeing 787 Dreamliners. […] The government of Brunei has worked hard to strip away business regulations, resulting in the Sultanate being ranked the most improved country in the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Report for the last two years.

https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2700.htm

13 Likes

I sent this story to a family member, and she said essentially the same thing, “I wonder if anyone in the trump administration will denounce this policy.”

I replied: “Nope. If anything, they will obliquely applaud it, and have wet dreams of bringing it here.”

I hope they prove me wrong, but I know they won’t.

10 Likes

Because, to paraphrase Terry Pratchett again, people throw good and hard, and happily, because they aren’t the target today.
If there is a strongman in charge, religion or monarchy doesn’t even come into it. Fear makes people do horrible things all on its own.

22 Likes

Ah, but they could happily point out that this is a religious mandate, and that the religion in Brunei is, oh happy coincidence, one they have pronounced dislike for.

2 Likes

Perhaps, however that hasn’t stopped them from getting into bed with them (so to speak) in all the things @abutilon pointed out. And it’s not like Brunei found their religion a day before this ruling.

So I still expect either nothing, or some form of doublespeak that doesn’t amount to jack shit. And for gears to start turning in the minds of the hateful around the world.

4 Likes