At the UN, Greta Thunberg excoriates world leaders and her elders for climate inaction

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/24/the-house-is-on-fire.html

13 Likes

Now I know why the people followed Joan of Arc.

Give a young girl a bloody chance to speak and she can change the world. Bravo to Ms. Thunberg for calling out her supposedly wise and responsible elders for their dithering inaction in the face of disaster – we see it in U.S. politics (hi Joe, hi Nancy!), we see it in British politics (hi Jeremy!), but nowhere are the consequences more dire than in action on global warming.

36 Likes

I can hear the dismissive elder GOP voice now “Damn uppity kids these days, what do they know!”

What they know is that the damage we are doing to the planet won’t kill the planet…Earth will be here and be just fine. We on the other hand will be long dead.

8 Likes

100% agree.

But I’m upset about how this is spinning already… am hearing voices (not all of them rabid deniers, 1%ers or RW) saying “This feels wrong. Let her be a little girl. She should be relaxing, not shaking with anger. Who’s writing her speeches etc.” - odious stuff, just when we need her more than ever.

Greta (anagram of Great) is a hero on an epic scale
My daughter loves her (and AOC!)

27 Likes

Je suis Greta!

20 Likes

It’s sad to see so many folks get upset at her for stating the obvious. They should be mad at themselves for being poor stewards of the Earth that it takes a teenager to tell them to shape up rather than making excuses for why she shouldn’t be doing what she’s doing.

26 Likes

Fuck them. I went on strike at secondary school for less important reasons (the school wanted Saturday detentions, a few hundred students walked out of lessons in protest). No adult was telling us what to do, we organised ourselves.

30 Likes

More insidious than that, actually:

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/23/the-tragedy-of-greta-thunberg/

8 Likes

The arsehole author of that pile of stinking BS deserves to be named: David Harsanyi.

13 Likes

“Greta Thunberg lives in the healthiest, wealthiest, safest, and most peaceful era humans have ever known” - well, I guess right wingers can hand in all their guns then since they feel so safe. Certainly they don’t need them anymore to “protect their family”

23 Likes

The author of that garbage also wrote a book called (I kid you not) “First Freedom: A Ride Through America’s Enduring History with the Gun, From the Revolution to Today.”

12 Likes

I love the irony here that assholes like this want to go after a 16 yr old kid.

8 Likes

Boy there’s a joke there about Jeff Epstein / Trump / Roy Moore, but I just can’t quite bring myself to go there.

3 Likes

Well. I was going more in the “I am a right wing MORAL FIBER person”. Yet, it pretty much stands to reason that anyone with any moral character would refrain from attacking a 16 year old.

that’s also a way to go though.

1 Like

Which, ironically, is one of the exact points she makes herself. In speeches she herself wrote.

She should be going to school instead of making blunt and angry speeches, so listen to her and act.

26 Likes

I’ve heard so many conservatives brag “my father/grandfather/great-grandfather lied about his age to join the Army at age 16 because he knew the future of the country was at stake.”

But if today’s teens decide to step up to fight for gun control after their classmates were slaughtered or fight against climate change to preserve a planet worth living in then they’re just some naive kids who should focus on homework and let the adults do the thinking for them.

22 Likes

trotsky-union

We need a lot more of students organizing, and adults, too.

14 Likes

Every once in a while the endless twine of contingency and causality we call history produces a strange and anomalous leader: a person who is more than a person; a person who is as much a phenomenon as a person. Hegel once called Napoleon the world-soul personified and I’m thinking something like that might be the case for Greta Thuneberg. She combines a deep shyness with a bottomless sense of ire, both wedded to indomitable will and the result is a powerful and utterly convincing charisma. Right-wingers use to mock Obama as “The One” - something he obviously wasn’t. GT looks more like the real thing. Joan of Arc indeed.

9 Likes

Cheeto Benito’s reply -

Donald J. Trump ‏Verified account @ realDonaldTrump

Donald J. Trump Retweeted WIRED

She seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future. So nice to see!

Donald J. Trump added,

4:27

WIRED Verified account @ WIRED

”People are suffering, people are dying, entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairytales of eternal economic growth.” Watch Greta Thunberg speak at the UN Monday morning. …

Show this thread

8:36 PM - 23 Sep 2019

8 Likes

my first comment was when will the names fly