At the UN, Greta Thunberg excoriates world leaders and her elders for climate inaction

When I saw extracts of her speech on the news last night, and the commentator said that it was ‘awkward’ listening for those attending, right after she finished the bit about ‘you will never be forgiven’… well, my first thought was: fuckwits like Trump really do not care one whit about not being forgiven by her or any other young person - she needs to tell them the kids will hunt them down and eat them, 'cos not being forgiven is a bit ‘meh’ for most world leaders given what many have been up to for a while now.

12 Likes

I really hope it was awkward for those in attendance. They should feel shame for inaction.

8 Likes

Being a naturalist has meant I get to watch a lot of things go extinct—especially lately.

We are killing the planet.

16 Likes

From my POV that’s pretty much what “you will not be forgiven” means. If the planet ends up as a Mad Max dystopia, the survivors are going to remember “who killed the world.”

Hell, I’m in my 40’s, with a much shorter amount of time left than young people like Thunberg, yet I’m also keeping notes and taking names.

14 Likes

Here comes a Colgate Palmolive commercial that celebrates Greta in 3…2…1

1 Like

Yes, we know all about recuperation.

Maybe she could do what Chumbawamba did, accept the money and donate it to people protesting against the advertisers.

7 Likes

I’ve seen various different versions of this. Only various people or organizations have tried to co-op her and get her to support them or their particular solution and she has resisted.

Here is climate scientist Martian Hedberg with on example:

I participated in a phone-meeting with Greta, Bo and others in June 2018.
After a while Greta concluded: “You are not radical enough. I have to do something myself.” and then she hung up.

I also have seen many people that it is her parents who are manipulating her and getting her to do this. Only her parents were apparently very unhappy with her striking, especially as it start out to be a strike all week. They had to work to get her to compromise on only striking one day a week.

Greta also has apparently gotten her mom to quit her job because it required her to fly too much and get a new job that was local. She also apparently pushed her parents to become vegans.

So yeah, she seems incredibly independent and is doing more to push others to go along with her rather than follow what anyone else is saying.

A common political attack is attacking the motive or person behind what they are saying rather than debating the issue itself. At 16 she has no political affiliation and no baggage attached. They don’t want to debate the issue itself so they make up the idea that she is being controlled.

16 Likes

I suppose there is always the KLF/K Foundation route, too?

3 Likes

Cheers to Greta for driving trollies Trump right back in her new Twitter bio.

19 Likes

I’m so proud of her I could burst.
And every word she said to this complacent world of old ways is true.

8 Likes

If you find yourself attacking a teenager on twitter for calling out her elders on BS that will dramatically impact her generation, maybe you’re the asshole.

Looking directly at you t-Rump.

10 Likes

Ours wasn’t a walkout, or over detention (but was something similar in scale), but we weren’t told what to do, either. We had an adult hint to us about the existence of tools and methods. The rest was a bunch of 16-17 year olds many of whom didn’t even like each other acting in solidarity. It was a practical lesson that you really can take down a petty tyrant without a leaked memo and collective action.

5 Likes

I read “excoriates” as “executes”.

A good idea, though I’m not sure why you’d think Greta would be paid in the 1st place.

Donald Trump totally agrees with your comparison and believes that she too should be burned at the stake.

I feel shame for my inaction. My son watched the video with me and he decided just now to go to the climate strike on Friday. I just decided I’ll join him. I don’t know what this will accomplish, but it’s better than doing nothing.

When I was my son’s age (actually, a little older), my school had a strike/protest about the first Gulf War in the early 90s. I didn’t join because one of my teachers said he’d fail every one of us who joined in the strike. I didn’t go, and he did fail a few kids for it (though it was recinded). And now, not joining is one of my big regrets in life.

7 Likes

Don’t want to speak for anyone, but I think he may have meant that the actual rock and lower phyla will survive, but we as a species will not, and neither will most higher organisms.

1 Like

14 Likes

Ok! Sterilization it is then! I stand corrected.

It’s a bit of wordplay that I thought quite clever in the past, but as the apocalypse looms I don’t get quite the chuckle I used to.

1 Like