Atari 2600 Sinistar would have been terrible

1 Like

The membrane buttons actually rocked because of all the extra inputs you could do vs just ONE button with the Atari. Like directional firing and stuff for complex games like Treasure of Tarmin.

The disk… it was weird. Doable, once you got the hang of it, but weird. I don’t actually have a complaint as to how well it worked, though.

The side buttons… those would be the one thing I would change. Though I would note they put them on both sides, so lefties could play. But yeah, for shooting games, mashing that bastard with your thumb was taxing.

Now I am wandering if someone with a 3D printer and some electronics knowledge has created a new controller for the Intellivision. I am imagining an Atari like joy stick, with two big buttons on the side. You have the number bad above. Or maybe use even keep the disk controller, but just make it bulkier with the big buttons to fire.

ETA - oh and Intellivision had pitfall. My cousin had it.

1 Like

There’s an excellent video of David Crane, the original programmer of Pitfall, explaining how he implemented it on the Atari 2600.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.