New, unusued Robotron cabinet found still in the box

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/26/new-unusued-robotron-cabinet.html

5 Likes

Sooo clean and shiny.

6 Likes

That’s pretty neat, though I was more of a Llamatron: 2112 kid myself.

2 Likes

Drooling over here… love the Williams games the best - many hours whiled away on Defender/Stargate/Robotron/Joust all great designs with tough increasing challenge levels and unique control surfaces really the best IMO

8 Likes

Daaayyymmmnnn… That is nice.

I need to make a bitchin MAME cabinet some day. Someday…

3 Likes

Ah yes, the “someday a MAME cabinet” dream that so many of us have.

5 Likes

I bet if we got a dozen people together with tools, we could make an assembly line type thing and pump a dozen out in a weekend or two.

5 Likes

American capacitors, so no worries there.

1 Like

god i loved this game. you forgot to mention the SOUND of it! next to Sinistar, there was no other game that amped up the tension with sound the same way.

8 Likes

Joust, also by Williams, really ramped it up as the game progressed.

6 Likes

I think that and Missile Command are my favorite old school games.

1 Like

6 Likes

A mate had a poxy old game in a cocktail cabinet which he got bored of after a couple of months, so I gutted it and popped in a PC, monitor and amp.

Loaded it up with MAME and a stack of MP3s, but after a while he installed some audio software on it and just used it to make beats, go figure…

1 Like

Are there any modern versions of Robotron-type gameplay? I always thought that the Serious Sam engine would be good to use for a new Robotron or SmashTV.

Lovely find. That game ate my school lunch more often than I did.

3 Likes

Enter The Gungeon and The Binding of Isaac both marry the twin stick gameplay of Robotron with roguelike gameplay (permadeath, procedurally generated levels, collectible items). Isaac is perhaps a bit edgy for some tastes, but Enter the Guneon is weirdly adorable.

3 Likes

omg yes, how could i forget Joust. also had great sounds! Tempest, too. and Defender!

2 Likes

I was more of a Dig Dug, Elevator Action, Congo Bongo, or Yie Ar Kung Fu kind of guy.

But seriously, how does one just let stuff sit around like that? I would think those would be easy sales these days.

1 Like

I have a soft-spot for the light-saber sound of Qix, but that’s partially due to the hardware. The board used two 6809Es on opposite clock phases to run the game and graphics, and a 6802 to do the sound. The weirdest thing about the board was the stuff that was missing: a speech chip, a serial port, and stereo sound. (Nothing in the ROMs that used those.)

3 Likes

Arcade machines was just outside of my era… kind of, went to a few places that had machines but they were always incredibly expensive plus growing up in Latin America access to good arcades was difficult in my immediate area so i never got to enjoy them much. But damn that shiny new machine looks nice.

1 Like