Atheism remains least-trusted characteristic in American politics

Lol, remember that guy in Kansas who crowdsourced like twice as much money as his opponent but lost because he was a smug internet atheist? Good times

I’m totally cool religion and using a document such as the bible as a basis for your life.
The cliff notes of the new testament are pretty much peace, love and acceptance of your fellow man.

Yes they are. Rarely have I seen practitioners unstintingly demonstrate those qualities.

1 Like

Carl Sagan makes a really good argument and a really shitty dialogue.

Or to put it another way,
The only thing I have left to believe in after hearing him talk is that he’s an asshole.

Also, he tends to blame a lot more historical problems on religion than is necessary. Blaming things like the crusades upon religion is a red herring. It never allows us the oppourtunity to question unfair influence and distribution of power.

Or even more simply:

6 Likes

It’s hard to hear anyone over the assholes, but, more likely than not, you’ve met someone in your life whose faith in humanity was reinforced by their faith. I meet good people all the time. Most people I meet are actually pretty decent.

2 Likes

Yeah, an occasional joint might help too.

Ah, I’m with you - I meet good people all the time. It’s just they are undogmatic.

To some degree, other people also most likely gave in to the question itself. Maya, you don’t even have their excuse of directed wording. I’m not sure many people have bothered to go see how the poll was worded, and for polling that matters a lot!

The question asked was a three-part question, and was aimed at those who hold the Christian faith. People were asked:

Would you be more or less likely to support a presidential candidate who…
• Is evangelical Christian
• Is Catholic
• Does not believe in God

Note the negative wording (“does not”).
A neutrally-toned question would have said • Is atheist

While the statement, “does not believe in God,” is true about Athiests, it is a statement about their belief set, not the named group of people who do not believe in God or practice a religion. It’s similar to this grouping:

• Is Democrat
• Is Republican
• Are extreme social conservatives

That third one is the Tea Party. They are extreme social conservatives, but that isn’t the name of their party. What it is, is a red flag for many people in the other two groups.

Signed: An atheist, who hates getting the short end of stick for no honest reason.

3 Likes

Perdition through entrapment. That would be an interesting theological debate. I’m in Canada, though, so I’m not sure I’d catch many faux Christians that way.

Maybe you just need a crappier class of friends.

My personal impression is that atheist is viewed more negatively, as some people read this as being against God or people who believe in God (I am aware that that isn’t what is actually means). ‘Doesn’t believe in God’ seems a bit more broad, as it doesn’t suggest that people have necessarily come to a definite opinion on the issue. They could be religious or non-religious; neutral, supportive or against theists and the issue of God’s (non-)existence may or may not be an important part of their lives. If someone says that they’re an atheist, I get the impression that they have actually made a decision to reject the concept of God - not because that’s what the word means, but because many people I hear using that term nowadays come from a Christian background and have moved away from that belief. Again this is just my impression, but when I’ve heard someone say that they’re an atheist, they’re often happy to talk about why. If someone says that they’re not religious, it usually means that it’s not an important part of their lives and they’d rather not waste any time on the topic.

2 Likes

That may be true, however there’s no way to know if it isn’t actually ever asked.

After all, there are people who attend church regularly (for social reasons) but don’t believe in God. So in truth, this question also says that a person who regularly attends church, but has no real belief, should’t warrant support. (Some research suggests a good percentage of churchgoers do just that.)

No one was directly asked if they would support candidate who “is an atheist”.

Also, the very wording of the phrase, with the one option starting as “does not” connotes a negative. It suggests from a multiple choice, that’s the wrong answer, so answer “no”. That’s a common lingual trick used by pollsters.

2 Likes

How exactly does this induce an “existential crisis”? Being “in God’s dream” honestly doesn’t sound especially different from a basic (Abrahamic) religious worldview, just phrased in a way that would probably occur to someone between bong hits.

2 Likes

Presumably, looking at the numbers above, most of those Theists who distrust Atheists, very much prefer a candidate who had served in the military. So adherents of a religion which specifically denounces murder and encourages pacifism show a strong preference for candidates who are trained murderers who served to perpetuate conflict. Consistency (or lack of hypocrisy) not the strong point of American Christianity.

1 Like

But wait! If you present yourself honestly as one of the “godless debauched” it’ll perpetuate other lies (well, truths, in this case). Oh the dilemma!

Likewise with non-practitioners. Sturgeon’s Law applies to humanity across all races, cultures and creeds, I think.

1 Like

Well put, George Berkeley

eh? Was that a reframe slipping past my cynical guile?

Coming up next, on