Atlas Obscura's list of 12 places to have a retro movie theater experience

Originally published at: Atlas Obscura's list of 12 places to have a retro movie theater experience | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It seems that this is not an exhaustive list.

There’s the Astor in Melbourne, for instance.

5 Likes

The Byrd Theater, Richmond, Va.

7 Likes

I was wondering if we should put in plugs for our local places. How about the Redford Theatre, of (technically Detroit) Redford, Michigan?

Yes, with an organ.

4 Likes

Or, the Michigan Theater, in Ann Arbor, Michigan?

Yes, with an organ.

6 Likes

I can’t figure out what criteria Atlas Obscura would be using that wouldn’t include

in Oakland, CA. Show up significantly early just to wander around looking at the deco(r).

6 Likes

I have to wonder whether they are licensed to show nitrate film. Very few theaters are.

And of course the topic makes me shed a tear for DC’s Uptown theater.

2 Likes

Which, I was happy to see, did make the list. My HS graduation was held there. My now-local theater, The Senator in Baltimore, did not. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

A distant relative of mine played the piano there before talkies came to town.

I had no idea they held graduations there. FYI the deli next door still makes a mean reuben sandwich!

Yay! The Plaza made the list!!!

6 Likes

Oh, yeah, the NY Deli! I’ve been eating their sandwiches since the late 70s. My recent visit (as in, <2 months ago) supports what you say.

1 Like

They did the Pickwick Theatre in a nearby suburb, but not the Music Box in Chicago?

It has a barrel ceiling with constellations that twinkle. Built in 1929.

https://musicboxtheatre.com/about/the-music-box-organ-house-organist-dennis-scott

Live organ music for silent films.

https://musicboxtheatre.com/about/music-box-theatre-history

No one-boxing, but really, a lovely little theater.

7 Likes

The small town I lived in from 7th grade to 19ish had a historical theater renovated and now in operation. Not as grand as some of these other places, but certainly captures feel of the golden age of cinema. I just wish the exterior Art Deco facade had survived.

4 Likes

I loved going to the Cerrito Theater in El Cerrito, CA when I was in grad school.

4 Likes

I understand the appeal of using film projectors vs digital for authenticity, but is there any compelling reason to risk putting historic old nitrate films through a projector? Seems like most films worth showing have either already been transferred to a more stable film stock, or else they should be rather than risk destroying them for a public viewing. (Even if you’re not worried about burning the building down.)

3 Likes

can we get some love for the Neptune Theatre in Seattle’s U District?

neptune-theatre
480144_qaTCAyLETx5SmshV2taiswJxrkHinZv7DgtkenCYDsA
i loved going to film festivals there when DB was an undergrad at UW.
the Neptune faces with the blue glowing eyes were sooo cool!

3 Likes

I was wondering if the Senator was on there, thanks for finding out so I didn’t have to bother checking. Shame it’s not, it’s a lovely old place.

2 Likes

IIRC, about 70% of silent films are lost forever because of massive fires due to the nitrate film used. That includes the National Archives, so not just a studio-by-studio loss.

3 Likes

I’ll give a shout-out to the summer film series at Atlanta’s stunning Fox Theater, a 1920s “Arabian Nights” style palace. Classic movies preceded by a singalong with the Mighty Mo organ and usually a cartoon, usually on Saturdays throughout the summer. This is last year’s line-up:

2 Likes

The Arlington Theater In Santa Barbara

Source: Image from Santa Barbara Theatre Organ Society, taken by Tom Ginn

The Arlington Theater has a light up stars on the ceiling with an interior that is supposed to make one feel like they are in an old Spanish village. It’s a showcase theater that also boasts a complete theatrical pipe organ, the consul is hidden beneath the stage, but emerges from below, usually with fanfare with all it’s guilt fleurs and gaudy opulence highlighted by the lighting. I think it has the largest drum head of any pipe organ, along with all the neat special effects like lightning, odd bells, horns etc…

If one happens to be in Santa Barbara, it is worth seeing a movie there, particularly on a hot sunny day. If you can catch a screening of an old silent film with organ accompaniment- do so. Plus the ticket comes with a tour of the workings of the old pipe organ, or at least they used to give tours of the organ after a performance.

The organ is normally hidden under the stage. I forgot it’s name.

Source: Image from Santa Barbara Theatre Organ Society

With the lights down, some of the stars seem to twinkle. I much imagine it is like visiting a 1930s showcase (grand) theater, less much of the raciest, sexism, etc… of the 30s.

4 Likes