Attacking UAW leadership, Trump still begs for the union's endorsement

Originally published at: Attacking UAW leadership, Trump still begs for the union's endorsement | Boing Boing

7 Likes

“Why can’t people say how much they really love and admire me?!”

7 Likes

The-godfather GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

10 Likes

“Trump Tells Non-Union Workers To Pressure Their Union Leadership To Endorse Him.”

Ummm, how’s that gonna work?

16 Likes

Workers: "You lost me at ‘tells.’ "
(Conversation end punctuated by silence.)

6 Likes

Who shows up to listen to TFG? Are there any red-hatted MAGAts in any factory, anywhere? What kind of shop would host him (besides the crackhead pillow guy?)

Someone has to be on his side, feeding his ego, clapping for his stupidity. And I really want to know who they are, so I can avoid every tainted aspect of their existence.

5 Likes

No one ever said he was a smart man.

And EV cars sales have continuously climbed in the past few years. 2.2% of new car sales in 2020, 4.6 in 2021, 7.8% in 2022. Manufacturing is also up, thanks heavily in part to the Infrastructure Act which looks to be driving manufacturers to make more cars here, giving those jobs you hear everyone asking for.

The UAW strike is justified, and even before Biden’s visit, had strong legs. I wish I was in a union…one of the managers of one of my European teams reminded me this morning that even he was in a union. We were discussing doing something that is obviously a good business decision but would be unpopular with my current boss. He mentioned he could easily get away with it because the union would back him doing it for the right reasons where I could simply be canned because it annoyed someone. Yay freedom?

18 Likes

Collective bargaining is the most effective bargaining. :vulcan_salute:

12 Likes

I’m pretty sure he has said it multiple times. . . :wink:

Also:

Way to win over the crowd, Donny.

17 Likes

Well, the orange blob has never let facts interrupt his train of thought - and I use that term generously.

6 Likes

Yup. And when he learns a new word he just runs with it. I enjoy his personal crusade against windmills.

8 Likes

And bringing in people paid to hold signs. (…or at least, people hoping to get paid. :thinking:)

11 Likes

Related, and just as idiotic repugnant as the rest of this specific issue re TFG and unions:

ETA:
upgraded the ol’ adjective

9 Likes

Post rant, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it took the shop less than 20 min. to join the union.

5 Likes

That’s just hilarious. Not only because collective bargaining works, but also because people who become union leaders are people who enjoy confrontation. “Pressure” from non-members is just a quick snack for them.

7 Likes

Given the fake union members and auto workers in the audience, perhaps Trump was fooled by all this theater, and actually thought he was addressing real union autoworkers. If so, he was the only one. Or possibly, unrelated to the signs, he was just confused (as usual) as to who he was addressing.

8 Likes

Actually quite a lot. They think they’ve been screwed by the globalization embraced by both parties for 20-40 years. (They’re not wrong!) And they bought Trump’s line of protectionism and trade wars as the solution. (They are wrong.) And they like Trump’s fake machismo.

4 Likes

I work for a struck automaker (I’m in management in product development, not manufacturing, so we’re all still working), and I will smack any UAW worker at my company in the mouth if they tell their shop steward to tell the higher ups to endorse Trump.

10 Likes

You would be surprised. My dad worked on an auto line for close to 30 years…and if labor was the issue they all voted Democratic that year. If it was anything else (especially culture war issues), they all voted Republican. It made, and still makes, no sense to me.

8 Likes

What’s that on his chin? Piles? Can he get some kind of, uh, preparation for it? :crazy_face:

2 Likes