Auschwitz installs mist showers that (duh) remind visitors of Holocaust gas chambers

Add to your list that most of the groups arrived in vans. Before they built the gas chambers, the Nazis experimented with mobile gassing vans. And other horrors.

2 Likes

Every attempt for a good deed will be misinterpreted and appropriately punished.

Seriously, why there are people who are still trying?

3 Likes

Really? They have to look like the ones inside to be a really bad idea?

Try this simple association game:

Shower = Good!
Shower + Auschwitz = Bad!

Oven = Helpful!
Oven + Auschwitz = Run away!

4 Likes

But… what if the sun is turning the place into an oven and you have to improvise showers to get the temperature down?

Mind boggles!

6 Likes

But it isn’t a shower. It’s a mister.

4 Likes

Bunk beds = cool!
Bunk beds + Auschwitz = endless nightmares!

German engineering = amazeballs!
German engineering + Auschwitz = fuck Germany and its engineering.

3 Likes

44?

(Had to)

3 Likes

As a Jew I resent people who use the expression “as a Jew” and then go on to make a statement that is completely subjective (and possibly false or a fallacy) and try to make it look like an objective argument. I’m sorry you had family that were murdered in a camp, that does not make a thing resemble another thing which it does not resemble.

I’m glad the actual local Jewish community seems to have kept their heads.

12 Likes

A few things
1- the sprayers were installed as a kindness, to increase accessability
2- be kind, this is a too soon for jokes, open wound
3- The Holocaust is a trigger stacked on thousands of years of triggers
4- I hope that a person visiting a death camp will not experience it for horror, but learn the lesson that it is bad to continue to kill or oppress Jews and that genocide is not permitted.
(edit)5- The Jews both murdered and alive are a real people and real individuals, not a literary symbolic race like elves and dwarves; we are not better, worse, holier, more evil, or more chosen than you; we still exist as humans alongside you.

Had the Europeans been proper to the Jews most of us would have probably dissolved amongst them as did the Jews of Kaifang China. While I like what I am it is as much hate as our own attempts to maintain identiy which kept us as a discernible entity at many points in history

7 Likes

Oh. I just started reading this tread.
I had just assumed it was deliberate. A way for the visitor to get a closer feeling for the place. It seemed like a great idea actually.

But it’s just a dumb misunderstanding/manufactured outrage thing.

4 Likes

This. I can excuse the original source. They were probably in an extremely emotional state because of where they were, just being there surrounded by the weight of its history is very upsetting. The lazy hack journalists immediately jumping all over this to make stupid “Hur hur Aushwitz and showers” jokes are the real problem.

3 Likes

You’re right of course, but your statement

Did make me giggle.

8 Likes

I’m offended just because those misting fans are so much more effective.

But I really think that’s precisely the point of the people who are icked by this.

This picture looks like a shower with gas coming out:

Yes, the real gas chambers did not have the gas actually coming out of the shower heads, but in the popular imagination it’s not too much a stretch to think that it did. I remember Art Spiegelman, in the amazing book Maus, saying that as a kid he imagined every time he turned on the shower that Zyklon B would come out.

Yes, it’s outside, and there are a dozen other reasons why it made sense to install these, and they shouldn’t take them down, but I think it’s perfectly reasonable to understand why those who are creeped out out by this are.

2 Likes

Even though I feel like this is blown out of proportion, I do understand how people are extra emotional when visiting a death camp.

I haven’t been to Auschwitz, but I have been to the Holocaust Museum in DC. It was a disturbing, haunting experience. I want to return with my family, who haven’t been, but have to psych myself up for the emotion bomb.

My first marriage was in that area, and several relatives wanted to take the opportunity while they were in town to visit the museum. I had to warn them off of it, as it takes a couple of weeks to calm down from the experience and it definitely doesn’t put you in a festive mood to confront the horrors of the Holocaust.

I think what they did was thoughtful but I hope they can find another solution to cut the heat.

3 Likes

Oy – That one was just too tempting.

1 Like

Stop confusing people with the facts.

3 Likes

It´s probably worth mentioning that Europe experienced the worst heat wave in recorded history this year.

5 Likes

Or confusing people with objects, mister.

2 Likes