Republican congressman shoots selfie video in Auschwitz gas chamber

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/05/republican-congressman-shoots.html

3 Likes

You know who else thought having an invincible army was a must…?

61 Likes

I’m really struggling to understand this as anything other than a straight-up neo-nazi pitch. Like those “88” tattoos, where it’s supposed to be a “clever” “secret” “code”, except that it’s not very clever, and everyone knows exactly what it means, and there’s no other possible interpretation.

35 Likes

There are ways to deal with that. Illinois and elsewhere.

27 Likes

Holy inappropriate places to pontificate, Batman!

Also: “where some 1.1m people, mostly Jews,”

Just a reminder, many Poles, Roma, Soviet POWs and others died in Auschwitz (and other camps). While focused on the Jews, they exterminated anyone they found undesirable. Remember that for your current history happening. It won’t just be what ever groups they disparage, it will bleed out to anyone in the way.

33 Likes

Would this assclown please explain how the DHS is going to prevent something like the GOVERNMENT program that created Auschwitz? He obviously is so stupid he doesn’t realize that places like Auschwitz are what happens BECAUSE a country has an internal security apparat that is “squared away”. WHY DO THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY KEEP ELECTING THIS KIND OF MINDLESS JACKASS!!!

39 Likes

13 Likes

It’s possible that Mr. Higgins is simultaneously a fool for this stunt and an excellent representative for his district. If you represent your constituents well, they will grant you a lot of slack for those times when you mess up.

That said, I have no idea how the people of Louisiana feel about him.

It’s also possible that his opponent in the last election was even worse and he’s just the best choice out of a bad bunch.

5 Likes

He would have a point, if we were the good guys.

12 Likes

It’s astounding the number of not-so-subtle nods to Nazis, White Nationalists, and so on I see from elected American officials.

I went to Auschwitz. It was harrowing. My wife and I couldn’t get through the whole visit. I can’t imagine the mindset that prompts this kind of response. I am saddened and disgusted that someone could stand on a pile of corpses of innocents and pontificate about the glories of military spending and eternal warfare. Yeah, maybe that’s hyperbolic, but that’s how it feels to me.

44 Likes

Even if he had a point, that wouldn’t be the place to make it.

17 Likes

http://imgur.com/hi3DWtl

http://imgur.com/KK1eVME

19 Likes

In his mind, ISIS is Nazi Germany, and Christian America are the Jews. And I’m not being facetious. That’s literally what he thinks.

22 Likes

I’m rather surprised we haven’t already had the ‘I’m sorry if anyone was offended’ non-apology apology from the Congressman.

9 Likes

Just a request for respect, not a law. But what if it was? He’s an American congressman. He doesn’t have to follow every little “law” created by some foreign “government”.

12 Likes

Yes.

16 Likes

A little more about Higgins (from an article on FB’s content rules):

(ARSTECHNICA) — In the wake of a terrorist attack in London earlier this month, a US congressman wrote a Facebook post in which he called for the slaughter of “radicalized” Muslims. “Hunt them, identify them, and kill them,” declared US Rep. Clay Higgins, a Louisiana Republican. “Kill them all. For the sake of all that is good and righteous. Kill them all.”

15 Likes

Your comment brought this to mind.
It’s actually something I’ve been thinking a lot about, lately.

25 Likes

Signs, to be used properly, require the ability to read.

6 Likes

And what if it wasn’t? Somethings really don’t, or shouldn’t, need a rule.

2 Likes