Australia chooses the Great Barrier Reef over a coal mine

Originally published at: Australia chooses the Great Barrier Reef over a coal mine | Boing Boing

15 Likes

Thats Good Finding Nemo GIF

24 Likes

Nice to have a little bit of good news for once.
Thanks for that. :heart:

22 Likes

Oh, Bruce the Ozzie shark!

(took me a minute to see what you did there!)

11 Likes

What a difference a change of government can make. Finally gotten rid of that a*hole Scott Morrison and his sycophantic mob, the supporters of “clean coal”, we now have a government (Labor) with something like a social conscience.

22 Likes

If you want to give that a*hole a proper send off, I can thoroughly recommend Niki Savva’s Bulldozed. Hugely satisfying as she puts the last stake through that spot in Morrison’s chest where anyone else would have had a heart. Every word written with care and loathing.

13 Likes

:thinking:

11 Likes

Australia also has significant coal industry.

1 Like

You may have missed my point.

6 Likes
6 Likes

Possibly! My point was that the coal industry probably exerts, and has exerted, a major pressure on the Australian government to keep fossil fuels on top and discourage investment into renewables.

3 Likes

ryan reynolds hd GIF

4 Likes

Because they export so much of it to China to fuel power plants and steel mills, thereby keeping our consumer products cheap.

The coal isnt being used to supply local power needs as much.

7 Likes

It’s slowly being exploited. Aus is now #6 in the world in capacity (but still not even a tenth of China) but #1 in terms of proportion of total energy consumed (15.5%).

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/solar-power-by-country

That this happened against the backdrop of a federal government who resisted any meaningful climate change action and actively unwound measures to reduce emissions is the one thing to give hope. State governments and individuals did all of the hard work (>30% of households now have PV installed).

But it makes me angry that Australia should have been much further along, but for the previous government’s obsession with both mining and the culture wars. We’ve got a decade to catch up on.

(Edited for grammar🙄)

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.