Largest coal-fired power plant is shutting down. What will Trump do now?

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/15/largest-coal-fired-power-plant.html

6 Likes

34 Likes

“What will Trump do now?”

Ban fracking?

10 Likes

he’ll refuse to do that because it would make environmental activists way too happy

14 Likes

Well the sensible thing would be to retrain coal industry workers

12 Likes

So, he won’t do that.

22 Likes

Are you implying that The Great Immaculate Orange One Whose Droppings Are the Elixir of Life will propose a Great Leap Backwards? Every household will be required to install a backyard coal-fired power plant.

18 Likes

Yes, all that and a bag of chips too.

8 Likes

Too soon?

7 Likes

Several years ago when there was a big push to use the more energy efficient florescent bulbs conservatives freaked out about it, arguing about how they needed the “freedom” to use more wasteful incandescent bulbs, but also suddenly being concerned with the environment-- the florescent bulbs have mercury in them. Surprisingly they never seemed to care about coal, which is the main source of mercury in our environment.

Did I say “surprisingly”? Sorry, it’s not surprising at all.

28 Likes

Change is already happening in the middle of coalcountry WVa.

But I guess it’s not the jerbs that they want.

10 Likes

Trump needs to make sure the coal industry stays big enough to keep me fueled with New Haven apizza…

4 Likes

Cheetos?

But the birds!! The noise!!! blah blah blah other reasons I don’t want it!

7 Likes

Neither is environmentally friendly but I’d take coal over fracking any day of the week. Sure, coal causes air pollution but it isn’t screwing with the water table or causing earthquakes, as far as I know. Shoot, I’d probably even prefer nuclear because it’s super efficient, although there’s always the issue of disposing the waste. I don’t think solar or wind could create enough energy to supply the country with electricity unless you had windmills and solar panels absolutely everywhere.

2 Likes

Mmmm ok.

17 Likes

Solar area needed to power the US

23 Likes

Pivot to oil and gas by advancing pipeline approvals.

4 Likes

You haven’t even looked at the maths, then.
http://solar.gwu.edu/q-a/how-much-land-would-it-take-power-us-solar

Hint - not all that much. And no, that doesn’t mean it is trivial, it just means it isn’t utterly implausible. Unlike, for example, “bringing back all the coal jobs”

12 Likes

The solution is obvious. He’s going to have to heavily subsidize both industries. It’s what any free-market conservative would do.

22 Likes

trump will wave his itty bitty hands in the air and yell Benghazi Clinton emails Obama did some shit…his adoring followers will stare at each other in amazement at how bright he is and the repub congress will suck more money away from something of value and subsidize other dead dinosaurs. Fucker is brilliant!

3 Likes