Australia has turned Nauru into a living hell for would-be immigrants

You got me thinking so I checked:

Unauthorised arrivals to Australia by air and boat 1995-2000

via http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/current%20series/cfi/1-20/cfi005.html

Which made me think about the effectiveness of concentration camps… was that sarcasm? My detector is a bit rusty.

###WHOA HOLY SHIT THATS OUT OF DATE. PROCESSING

More recent but different graph.

From looking at other graphs from different surveys, it appears there was a precipitous drop off of boat arrivals from 2000 to 2005ish where the figure drops to nearly zero then exponentially surges to higher levels than ever before.
Methinks a little creative cooking of the books was going on. Methinks.

4 Likes

Imagine that. Placing all your prisoners on a single island and letting them do as they please. I wonder where they came up with that idea.

22 Likes

This seems interesting, too. I wasn’t aware that Australia’s immigration centres were run by a private business (and one with as bad a rep as Serco). Although I’m not surprised.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/10/serco-australian-immigration-detention-centres-contract-christmas-island

8 Likes

On arriving in Australia, at the immigration desk:

“Do you have a criminal record, sir?”

“I wasn’t aware you still needed one!”

21 Likes

I’m also thinking the powers that be would like to turn many areas of the United States into one, giant prison eventually as well…

1 Like

Twas @jsroberts, posted a very moving topic some time back concerning the nightmarish policies of Australian immigration. It’s a harrowing but ultimately hopeful ‘inside look’ at the policies and management of a deliberate hell.

4 Likes

If it was effective, there wouldn’t be anybody on Nauru.

3 Likes

Australia is what it is today because exiled people made the most of their new environment.

2 Likes

[quote=“miasm, post:9, topic:54822”]
Which made me think about the effectiveness of concentration camps… was that sarcasm? My detector is a bit rusty.
[/quote]I can’t speak for @VPescado, but I was being sardonic.

1 Like

The island itself is beautiful and lush. It seems like the place could be set up for prolific farming, etc. and a resort to bring in outside money. Why doesn’t anyone set that up there instead of this hell hole in paradise?

Then again, I guess the entire point is to make the place as shitty as possible for a punitive deterrent for immigration. So, I guess it’s more of an Aussie immigration issue than anything else?

2 Likes

Notably, arriving in Australia is not illegal.

3 Likes

As an Australian, our extreme right-wing government makes me sick. They’re committing crimes against humanity.
Thousands of refugees/asylum-seekers are fleeing terrible situations in their homelands, and instead of offering a humane rescue and a chance at a peaceful re-start at life, our government voids their human rights and throws them into concentration camps.

16 Likes

4 Likes

Governments all over the world give these fucks plum contracts to “manage” facilities paid for by tax payers. They are a cancer, like G4S.

5 Likes

[quote=“DamienW, post:20, topic:54822”]
As an Australian, our extreme right-wing government makes me sick.
[/quote]Ok, I’ve been wondering about this for a while. From what I understand, voting is compulsory in Australia.

Are most Australians rather dense people who vote in these right-wingers or is there more to the picture where right-wing politicians are slithering their way into office like they do here within the USA with gerrymandering, etc.?

I mean, are Australians (in general, not you) this ignorant (and hateful) or is there something else going on?

Didn’t the Labor party rather sabotage themselves last time with all that bullshit where Rudd undermined Gillard until he pushed her out?

I suspect it’s largely like the US and the UK where the left parties are so anaemic that it’s easy to say “they’re all the same”.

Then you have those nice One Nation people, who are racist nutjobs like UKIP.

2 Likes

Australian too. Makes me sick too.

Yep. Dense is a little harsh, though. There’s a lot of folks out there that have a tendency towards conservatism (small c) and are slow to accept change.

Also yep. IMO, most of the problem seems to stem from Murdoch. There’s not that much diversity when it comes to news and reporting. Immigration (and the associated xenophobia) has been hyped up into an issue by the press and the pollies need to have issues that they can appear strong on. It sells papers and gets politicians elected. Hence “Stop the Boats” when the boats are actually all that much of a problem.

Immigration and the treatment of refugees and those seeking asylum is Australia’s national shame, with Nauru being the latest in a long line of abuses that are the spiritual children of the White Australia Policy.

7 Likes

Me too. Just to be clear, the conservative Abbott government does not represent me or, I believe, the majority of Australians. They lied to the electorate on a majority of issues, and over the last two years this has been revealed.
They demonised refugees as somehow being a threat to national security (whatever that is), and managed to convince enough people that this was true. Just like the US, Australia has a significant part of the population that do not actually engage with the community themselves, but just absorb the bigoted views of media commentators.
I suspect that many now know the error they have made.

4 Likes

[quote=“knersis, post:19, topic:54822, full:true”]
Notably, arriving in Australia is not illegal.
[/quote]…if I may refine your comment, seeking asylum in Australia is not illegal, and it is for this “crime” that people find themselves sent to Nauru. It should be added that people are placed here for processing, for which there seems to be no hurry. It should also be noted that most are found to be refugees. However people found to be refugees are offered money to return home , and if they don’t will be resettled in a place other than Australia, such as Vietnam or Papua New Guinea (Manus Island). On Manus island racial tensions are escalating due to local people fearing the resettled refugees will take their jobs, women, and suspecting that they are given preferential treatment.

To fully understand the implications of the graph , you have to understand Australian politics, and how the “illegal boats” issue ( they really try to dehumanise it as much as possible…) has become such a polarising electoral topic. The current conservative government ran hard on this issue going into the last election. One successful candidate for western Sydney said "illegal boat refugees " where responsible for increased traffic congestion. The new Labor government of 2007 tried to take a more humanitarian attitude to refugees , but the conservatives used increased boat arrivals to whip up fear and loathing, which eventually led to a race to the bottom to see who could be the toughest on refugees. Labor ended their time in government with an asylum seeker policy as harsh as the previous government.
Just as an aside , I’m constantly amazed that most Australians know that most “illegal boat refugees” are caught near Christmas Island, yet nobody understands exactly on the Earth this is. I strongly encourage anyone interested to look on a world map where Christmas Island, Nauru and Manus Island are in relation to Australia .

4 Likes