Australia is searching the desert for a dangerous radioactive capsule smaller than a penny

Rio Tinto have made repeated efforts to destroy Australia and its heritage, their worst, so far, being 46,000 years of human occupation.

14 Likes

This… doesn’t really seem like a big enough threat to human life or the environment to be worth this kind of effort? Not when the same effort could have orders of magnitude mors impact spent any of a bunch of other ways.

1 Like

I don’t know how they could find this if they can’t even disprove whether Australia got nuked back in 1993 by the Japanese sarin gas terrorists.

5 Likes
1 Like

Like there aren’t enough things in Oz trying to kill you already…

And good luck spotting that tiny little thing from five meters.

9 Likes

If found, return to P. Sherman at 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

4 Likes

Film a “deleted scene” from Spaceballs?

mel brooks we aint found shit GIF

12 Likes

There’s aerial detection systems that are probably sweeping the area now. A hot capsule like that should make a pretty strong spike on their instruments.

1 Like

Chameleons are native to Madagascar, not Australia. But there are goana and saltwater crocs to mutate.

5 Likes

I smell a contradiction here.

5 Likes

?

wallaby

I expect Wallace could make use of this capsule in one of his contraptions.

2 Likes

Actually, they can - the seismic signal of ‘The Banjawarn Bang’ was distinctly not nuclear:

Scientific paper here (chunky PDF):

4 Likes

Hopefully Putin finds it in his tea.

9 Likes

26 Likes

My dad volunteered for a small town fire dept for a long time in iowa. A regular thing they had to do was attend some sort of thing to tell them how to deal with a radioactive accident on the railroad that passed through town. I guess that’s a thing? Sending radioactive stuff? Waste maybe? Via railroad? Maybe that’s safer than a highway considering the number of trucks I see in ditches.

3 Likes

IIRC standard practice is still to leave it where it is, on site where it was created, build a shed over it with a sign on the door saying KEEP OUT and hope people can still read it in 100,000 years :grimacing:

10 Likes

You think this is bad?

There’s actually a number of nuclear weapons which have been lost and never recovered.

3 Likes

I’d argue it’s a bit of a strawman to assume that people supporting new nuclear power plants also support lax regulation around the transport and disposal of nuclear waste.

Or for that matter, not comparing the existing health impact of coal transport https://multco-web7-psh-files-usw2.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/health/documents/coal_report_final_021413.pdf

As someone who is pro-nuclear, I’m not anti-renewables, I’m anti-fossil fuels. If we can meet all of our energy needs with renewable power options (including battery/etc), then great! But until we shut down all the natural gas and coal power plants, I’m going to continue to vocally support nuclear as a steady state option.

17 Likes

In terms of someone accidentally finding it and dying of radiation poisoning or cancer this might actually be worse than a lost nuclear bomb.

9 Likes

I’m guessing the radioactive pellet was used in a nuclear densitometry tool.

3 Likes