Australia is searching the desert for a dangerous radioactive capsule smaller than a penny

Originally published at: Australia is searching the desert for a dangerous radioactive capsule smaller than a penny | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The capsule was not lost through cartoonish buffoonery, but through an almost cinematic series of events.

I look forward to the heartwarming tale of its journey home through the hardships of the Australian Outback, and the many friends it makes along the way.

48 Likes

I hope for the appearance of a radioactively created SuperRoo

27 Likes

I do not look forward to the rise of the deadliest radioactive spiders and snakes on the planet.

41 Likes

Can’t they just drive down the road with a geiger counter? Is it really harder than that?

28 Likes

Away with you and your common sense man…

6 Likes

Conversation at my house a while ago:

Me: If Chameleons became deathclaws, imagine what a Fallout Australia would be like
Wife: Australia IS Fallout.

21 Likes

“Clearly if you can have a few screws come undone and then a bolt missing and then your source escapes, that just isn’t enough protection.”

The Radscuers Down Under

The Rio Tinte mine is 1,400 kilometers away from Malaga. Have fun.

14 Likes

That’s also assuming it didn’t end up in somebody’s treads and could be anywhere.

14 Likes

(It’s a joke and a brilliant one at that with the “radiation” affecting the camera :sweat_smile:)

44 Likes

So good. Should they have used “tyre” instead?

18 Likes

I wouldn’t have noticed the dots on the image indicating radiation if you hadn’t pointed it out.

11 Likes

It is sooo perfectly subtle that way.

6 Likes

All the proponents of new nuclear power plants: “It’s totally and completely safe. Stop worrying about what will happen with the waste, we’ll take good care of it!”

Me: (pointing at this story and laughing)

18 Likes

I’m thinking Tank Girl but your mileage might vary

13 Likes

Hopefully they’ll find it and it won’t turn deadly like this incident

18 Likes

Source control can be a problem, too. It’s over a decade old now, but Tom Zoellner’s Uranium went a bit into uncontrolled mining at Shinkolobwe.

3 Likes

It will be a glowing movie!

13 Likes

Didn’t George Miller make a series of documentaries about this?

11 Likes

Maybe they should create a reality show of D-list celebrities, influencers, and other social media riffraff where they search the outback for it.

6 Likes