Australia sues Facebook, says Cambridge Analytica scandal violated privacy of over 300,000 Australians

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/09/australia-sues-facebook-says.html

“Facebook’s default settings facilitated the disclosure of personal information, including sensitive information, at the expense of privacy.”

2 Likes

I wish our (UK) government had the balls and the moral compass to do this.

3 Likes

They did thoug…

In the UK Facebook was fined £500,000 for the breach

Uhhhh… fair point.

Fair point. I suppose what I’m actually feeling is, ‘I wish a government would slap them with a punishment that actually deterred them from doing it again’.
No evidence that the fine caused them any real discomfort; they show no contrition until caught, time and time again; CA has reformed under a different badge; and Brexit happened regardless, despite some pretty clear evidence that the rules were broken. And now the architect sits smugly in 10 Downing Street.

With that in mind, why would they not do the exact same thing again?

1 Like

Oh i entirely agree and i should have added the /s tag because i was making a sarcastic point, sorry. A 500k fine isn’t even a slap on the wrist, it’s barely a tickle with a feather.

1 Like

That is not a phrase that applies to the current Oz government.

There have been multiple recent scandals about government authorities leaking private data. This case is probably motivated at least in part by a desire to deflect attention from those.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.