FTC announces $5B fine against Facebook for repeated privacy violations

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/24/ftc-announces-5b-fine-against.html

Settlement between FTC and Facebook ends 16-month probe that began Cambridge Analytica, Russia, and Trump.

3 Likes

Oh awesome. Facebook pays the cost of doing business.

Way to teach them they can pay a percentage of revenue to keep profit.

14 Likes

When news broke about $5B fine Facebook’s stock actually went up. That’s how shit this fine is.

8 Likes

There’s the face of a man who’s been slightly inconvenienced.

But hey, at least it set a record. Progress, y’all.

2 Likes

Facebook is reportedly worth over $630 billion (2018). This settlement requires them to pony up 0.8% of their value. That’ll teach 'em.

5 Likes

US Military Spending $598.5 billion/year. Cost to install an illegitimate US president $5B. That’s quite a bargain for Vlad and Co.

These kinds of punitive fines need to be something that weighs heavily on corporate decision making for years.

I’ll possibly be satisfied if they fined them a trillion dollars. That way they’ll have to keep inind that they fucked up for at least ten years as they struggle with the debt.

3 Likes

Why do some governments implement restrictive regulations, like the GDPR? Because slaps on the wrist do nothing to curb bad behavior.

3 Likes

Why should the Zuck care? It ain’t his money…

2 Likes

Hey FB, you gotta start safeguarding users’ privacy.

No.

Can we get some money then?

Here ya go.

Carry on.

4 Likes

I wonder if Trump considered asking for wall money in lieu of that money going elsewhere in the government.

Here. Hold my beer. Now slap my wrist. Now dribble the beer on your own shoes.

Congressman, here’s your check. Want to see some pretty lights? Here, I’ll light it for you with this $1,000,000 bill. Oh, you needed that money to keep your job? Well, pucker up and kiss my ass, then, and you’ll get another.

1 Like

If we are only going to be levying monetary fines, let’s start at a trillion for acompany with the kind of valuation fb has. If they can’t pay right now, let’s hobble their profitability for the next generation.

I mean there’s other things we ought to do, like shutting the whole thing down. Or building a regulatory agebcy for userdata.

Start putting Facebook directors in jail… they make the big money to make the big decisions … when they’re wrong, the price is personal. Or start with amputations of fingers, forehead tattoo, something to make these people think twice before they launch a new ‘feature’.

I hate those “Memories” things, pictures of places or people I miss… it pops up now and then… oh yeah, a pic of my friend who no longer talks to me because I was an asshole and hoped for more than what we had… my heart is crushed once again, I weep at the loss, spiral of self-hate and despair. Off with their heads !!!

2 Likes

What happens to the $$$? If they can reinvest that into the agency it could do a lot of good, they are severely understaffed

1 Like

That’s intentional. Thank tRump for installing a guy who wants to destroy the agency. Like every other staff pick he’s done.

2 Likes

The folks I know who worked there did so under Obama.

Not doing much about corporate malfeasance is a bipartisan cause.

1 Like

I vote to shut it down. They cannot even control it themselves.

1 Like

Facebook pays the cost of doing business in the US. We are still having it’s Pro-Brexit propaganda here in the UK for free.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.