Australian cigarette packages show gruesome disease symptoms

We got these in Mexico a few years ago and I’ve since seen people start to use cigarette cases and mint tins as fashion accessories. I’ve also noticed less people smoking so there’s that.

One of my travel companions, a smoker, went cold-turkey after one pack in Australia after seeing how much they cost. His pack, I remember, had a mangled, aborted fetus on it.

1 Like

Why the hell is this censored?

Probably the whole “[image NSFL]” thing. If you click the link, you should be able to see the uncensored version.

So you’re saying… 1, 2, 3 bad idea but, 4 I’d like to see it on booze bottles.

WTF man?

Besides, these have been shown to work. In Canada they’ve gone so far as to hide the packs completely. They’re no longer visible to the public at all and you have to ask for a cancerous lung, erectile disfunction or rotted teeth. My friends used to collect them - until they stopped smoking all together.

1 Like

Yes, but cigarettes in Australia have 8 legs and are venomous.

4 Likes

That doesn’t really explain why. Like, at all. If they’re okay to put on actual ciggy packs, they’re okay to put on an article about ciggy packs.

I think he’s saying that prohibition doesn’t work for reasons 1, 2, and 3, but disgustingly informative packaging works well for cigarettes, so he’d like to see it on alcohol as well.

1 Like

Because some people don’t want to be scrolling down their screen right after having eaten a nice lunch, and BOOM! blackened lung.

it’s not THAT bad

1 Like

An important reason for the packaging is to discourage young people from taking up smoking. That’s what the cigarette companies advertising is trying to encourage these days. That it helps current smokers to give up is part of it but not the whole story.

4 Likes

Exactly the way it is in Australia. Packs can not be displayed, and are kept behind closed doors. The legislation means that those doors cannot be opened except when actually getting a pack out for sale. The pack images are designed to inform the smoker, not the potential smoker.

1 Like

Just for information, I’ll leave this here:

Yeah they only just brought this in here about 4.5 million years ago.

Canada has mandatory health warnings covering 75% of packaging, but there’s still visible branding beyond that.

All cigarette packs in Oz look the same, stopping any ‘prestige’ from displaying packs of successfully advertised brands. It’s working. Smoking rates are down, especially amongst young first-time smokers.

The tobacco companies claim that it’s ineffective. Then they spend millions of dollars fighting the legislation that they say doesn’t affect their sales…

3 Likes

Actually you can already get things like that, for the more upmarket you can still buy cigarette cases. As with comprehensive sex education and practical maths; the education on the dangers of cigarettes, alcohol and party drugs is sorely lacking in schools.

No joke—one of the few times in my life I met someone who rolled their own tobacco cigarettes it was a khaki-clad Australian rainforest tour guide whose last name was Dundee. So I guess that was an example of “someone’s gotta keep those stereotypes alive!”

1 Like

It’s been clearly demonstrated that you can’t get people to stop using drugs(if they can’t even keep Schedule I substances out of prisons, it’s clearly hopeless in anything even slightly not a dystopian police state); but it isn’t as clear whether getting them to use different drugs is a lost cause.

Cigarettes are a particularly good candidate because they manage to be markedly more dangerous than nicotine proper(which is all kinds of addictive but doesn’t chew up your lungs on its own initiative).

1 Like

Anti smoking campaigners who come up with this shit are among the sickest, twisted perverts around. They would happily wander around H. R. Giger’s nightmares in Hieronymus Bosch pyjamas with Donald Trump hairpieces chewing on a packet of baby legs or something. These people are fucked up.

Back when these came out, most people I knew who smoked didn’t give a toss about the labels, although they found that hiding the branding was a hassle, as those who smoked less common varieties had a bugger of a time working out if a shop sold their brand.

Mostly though, it was the huge increases in price that pushed most of them to quitting. I think packs are almost double what they were back when I smoked at parties way back when.