Australian police fine couple $1,060 after they posted old vacation photos

Not sure if you are Australian but in this country the on the spot fine is often a fraction of the total cost of going to court, and a court case is at best a lottery.

2 Likes

The clock and settings battery in my camera died. Currently all my photos happen in the dawn of Microsoft time.

2 Likes

Police really do seem keen to abuse these powers all over the place. Results may vary, e.g.

2 Likes

Yes I am, and they still have to prove the case. The charge was not posting a picture on facebook it was travelling in contravention of some order. Even if they HAD traveled in an inappropriate time, that still has to be proved - unless they admit it. No evidence no conviction. Though I do take your point.

Ever been to court?

I have a few times and I have zero faith in any rational, fair, or evidence based process.

Edit: you may get a better result in higher courts but the magistrates court is basically a police court.

Yes I have been before a beak.

Hi, fellow Victorian. Your edit says it all for me.

This is the first time in my life that I’m on the side of rolling out laws fast and then reigning in the authoritarian bullshit later (asap). I live in the tourist town of Daylesford and like Bondi beach its been Florida spring break here!

This story sounds like a beat up as all fines are to be vetted and this one hasn’t probably even been paid let alone returned. Having said that I think that announcing that these fines will be reviewed is giving the police a heads up that they can be over zealous, which they have. Yes police should be accountable but in these times it’s good to choose you’re fights and personally if this is the worst we have to tolerate here in Australia I think we’re doing ok.

They aren’t welding us into apartment blocks and we aren’t digging mass graves. Looks like our piss weak and corrupt government is getting something wright (fingers crossed so far).

I think that the gravity of this kerfuffle is far outweighed by the respect we should be paying to all those workers in the front lines of this global disaster: the health workers, supermarket staff, delivery drivers, teachers and yes the police too. Pretty sure they’re having to deal with a lot of dickheads!

Having said that, most people seem to be doing pretty good and helping each other out :heart:

1 Like

Also, I in no way wanted to sound like I was suggesting everything was fine here or trivialise the death, grief and devastating life changing events. Just suggesting that folk save their powder for something more worthy. Not sure how this became news.

You’re one of the chosen few! You can’t be held responsible for anything that appears in any of your photos!

At least nothing where the statute of limitations has run out. :sunglasses:

We should be paying them with something more than “respect”.

3 Likes

Of course you’re right and i agree but this topic is about the perception of policing in the media and not the economic remuneration of our essential services.

I guess I was equating the police with other front line workers because they are often easy scapegoats for public anger (often deserved). Articles like this seem to generate a lot of emotive response and not much helpful analysis and discussion.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.