Author Kent Nerburn describes "The Cab Ride I'll Never Forget"

Originally published at: Author Kent Nerburn describes "The Cab Ride I'll Never Forget" | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Sad Alice In Wonderland GIF

16 Likes

pretty much the same

8 Likes

Man, i might’ve just ugly cried if i wasn’t in the middle of moving to a new apt because of my apt complex accidentally flooding my previous unit. Still that was a great essay, and having worked retail customer service i’ve had little moments of honest realness with some customers. I don’t miss the job but i do deeply miss those conversations and encounters.

6 Likes

I think I read that story a while back – but it’s good to revisit it.

2 Likes

This story has been circulating for a while. You can read more about it by searching for “the cab ride” on Snopes. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Snopes rate it as ‘Legend’ due to Nerburn being the only source for it - his passenger having long since passed on. But he talks about it sincerely as something that happened to him in the '80s, so I think I’ll go with him on this one.

After all, it was published in print in 1999, long before the Insta/Twit/TikTok era of ‘get famous fast on the Internet and make $$$£££!!!’ idiocy… (back in the earliest days of ‘weblogs’, and just as Google became a thing)

It’s sad - but unfortunately necessary - that we have all become so mistrustful of things we read on the inter-web-tubes:

1 Like

A real feel-good story.

About its veracity, I’m not hungry to know - doesn’t really matter, the ability to feel and live through the author’s words, the small lesson are worth it in any case and part of being human.

6 Likes

Exactly right. It may or may not be true but it’s still a story about what ought to be true and points us towards “right behaviour” like a bible parable.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.