Author Mark Dery's account of taking magic mushrooms as a treatment for angst

Originally published at: Author Mark Dery's account of taking magic mushrooms as a treatment for angst | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I quite like ANGST and don’t think it needs a treatment…

Micro-dosing 'shrooms can be an effective part of therapy.

3 Likes

1 Like

It’s super interesting what he’s discussing here.
My tendency to have angsty moments much like he describes in the essay is why I have always felt uneasy about tripping. What if one of those bleak moments appear whilst on a drug, and the intoxication were to prevent me from snapping out of it?
However, Dery seems to describe that the shrooms can be the best antidote against those thoughts/feelings. Extremely fascinating. If someone could convince me of a relatively risk free way to get there I’d do it tomorrow if I could.

1 Like

After refreshing myself on the definition of the word Angst, I’m sitting here wondering if this article is about curing a natural and normal reaction to the current state of human progress and development rather than a health problem.

I’m definitely not down on the theraputic benefits of mushrooms though. I’ve heard they can do great things for depression.

1 Like

No, angst is not a health problem. Rather, a sign of a healthily inquisitive mind I’d say.
But as far as we are talking about a cure I guess one could say that angst is a kind of rhetorical dead end, and Dery seems to be suggesting that temporarily messing about with your neurological pathways for a bit can get you out of this particular thought pattern.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.