Eat shrooms. Not too much. Mostly psilocybin

[Permalink]

1 Like

I have wanted to try a mushroom trip for my depression but Iā€™m on antipsychotics so it wonā€™t work but Iā€™m scared of going off the meds for a couple of months. Iā€™m stuck in a catch 22.

We need to end the prohibition first so people donā€™t get into trouble.

4 Likes

Schedule 1, right there, 'cause more than half of our countrymen are puritanical fuckers who canā€™t abide the thought that anyone might think anything different from them, ever.

3 Likes

Oooh, he found it worked for him. Yep, thatā€™s enough evidence for me!

There are enough such reports from left and right (and front and back and top and bottom) that it sounds quite plausible that it can work pretty well in at least quite some cases.

1 Like

Anyone who has tried Mushrooms can attest to the benefits. Some of the first times I tripped is when I finally felt comfortable In my own skin and accepted who I am.

The thing is it can only point you in that direction. Itā€™s up too the individual to learn from the experience and then apply that knowledge to their lives.

I think a lot of people could benefit from mushrooms whether they are suffering from a terminal disease or not. Itā€™s a shame there is not more scientific research happening.

5 Likes

Mushrooms help my anxiety more than anything, really. Itā€™s not long-term though and works best as a very occasional supplemental. My only issue is that it tends to make me fairly nauseated, and thatā€™s not always easy to prevent, although with care and planning I can minimize it.

Itā€™s not a spiritual thing for me at all. It quiets my brain. Itā€™s weird. Most people would assume it wouldnā€™t, but it does. I have done it 6 times over my life time and each time has been good to great.

@thaumatechnicia

Lots of studies seem to indicate that psiolocybin can help with anxiety as well as PTSD. Same with MDMA. Obviously this is just one source I pulled up quickly, but thereā€™s plenty of other legitimate science going on right now if you just look. If you genuinely want to learn more, Iā€™d be willing to share more with you to get you started.

5 Likes

Actually, your description of your experience is very accurate. In studies using PET imaging, researchers have found that psilocin (the biologically active metabolite of psilocybin) strongly inhibits neuronal activity in certain areas of the brain, in particular the anterior cingulate cortex. Not coincidentally, that area is frequently found to be hyperactive in individuals diagnosed with unipolar depression and/or OCD.

1 Like

The irony is that many of those puritanically-minded individuals, were they ever to try psilocybin mushrooms, would finally discover for themselves what ā€˜Godā€™s unconditional loveā€™ actually feels like. Who knows, they might then start practicing it like That One Guy that they worship so much instead of invoking His name solely to curse their fellow Earthly travellers.

2 Likes

Or they might see the elder gods in all their awfulness, and behave accordingly. Not that the rest of us would really notice the difference from the way they act now.

1 Like

You sure about that? Iā€™m not aware of anything that blocks the mechanism of action of psilocybin. But I could just very well be unaware.

The more recent (aka ā€œatypicalā€) antipsychotics (risperidone, olanzapine) are potent antagonists of the 5-HT2 family of receptors (5-HT = 5-hydroxytryptamine, aka serotonin). This is also true (kinda) of some of the older (aka ā€œtypicalā€) antipsychotics. My understanding (based on the studies Iā€™ve read) is that psilocin mediates its effects primarily via agonism of the 5-HT2A receptor, so an antagonist of this same receptor would weaken or block its effects. 5-HT2A antagonism isnā€™t unique to the atypicals; trazodone and mirtazapine, commonly used as antidepressants and/or hypnotics, are potent blockers of 5-HT2A as well.

It would take me another three paragraphs to explain the apparent paradox of a 5-HT2A antagonist having antidepressant effects, but I enjoy my sleep so weā€™ll just leave it at that for now.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I knew I wasnā€™t upon the literature but I also hadnā€™t heard of that in a general sense, however a quick google of risperidone, psilocybin brings up a wealth of info.

1 Like

From your link: Scientists at Kingā€™s College, London, released research in late Octoberā€¦ Jebus Farking Cripes! Itā€™s the friggin 21st Century, Vice! Canā€™t you link to the actual study? Is this it?

Continuing: [Stephen] Ross has been leading one of those studies, examining the psychological effects of psilocybin on cancer patients. Though his research has not been fully analyzed or published yet, he said that preliminary findings show that the psilocybin doses his patients received helped boost their outlook toward cancer.

Not conclusive enough for me; I want to read the paper. But I canā€™t. Because it hasnā€™t been published.

There seems to be a lot of evidence that for patients without underlying psychiatric problems/conditions who are facing death from cancer, treatment with some [now-illegal] drugs might help. (Iā€™m really, really resisting the urge to just tell them: ā€œOh, donā€™t be such a sooky baby!ā€ I really am.)

My initial remark was that one well-known guy claiming that he knows that it helped him doesnā€™t constitute evidence. That still stands.

You may remember how almost everyone was soooo sure that Dr. Zamboniā€™s blood-flow-based treatment for Parkinsonā€™s was golden. It turned out that it really didnā€™t work.

Despite no convincing studies, many persist in pushing this treatment. Worse, the fact that humans stand upright is being touted by these folk as one of the causes of Parkinsonā€™s. Oy vey!

I wonder just how many hundreds of thousands of peopleā€™s savings plus their last days alive will be wasted on poorly supported treatments when thereā€™s plenty of evidence that they are about as effective as doing nothing. Wasnā€™t Ritalin supposed to cure young children of what is likely to be perfectly normal behaviour?

How many more lives will be destroyed by the casual assertion that no harm can come from these treatments and from self-diagnosis and self-medication? How many children have been maimed or have died because of Jenny McCarthyā€™s completely unsupported claims?

I grew up in the sixties and seventies - I remember just how many peopleā€™s lives and minds were destroyed by the foolhardy use of drugs. Alan Ginsburg also witnessed this: ā€œI saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked, dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of the night.ā€

So pardon my skepticism at one personā€™s claims.

Some people drown in lakes but Iā€™ll not refrain from drinking water if it helps me.

Ginsburg saw some drownings too, but prominently practiced and promoted what you describe as self-diagnosis & self-medication.

Your dismissal of anecdote is fine but it doesnā€™t support your correlation between recommending measured & reasoned personal experimentation with psychoactive drugs and recommending quackery.

2 Likes

You donā€™t need 'shrooms to live. You need water to live.

False analogy. And you know it.

Plus mushrooms have been consumed by humans for a very long time

1 Like

Let me just pluck that last straw from your grasp by replacing the analogy that you find as false only pedantically.

Some people drink so much water they die from dilutional hyponatremia but Iā€™ll not refrain from drinking water if it helps me.

Or

Some people eat too much sugar and for no other reason die horribly after having their limbs chopped off but Iā€™ll still have some cake please.

2 Likes

When you suffer from a problem that the mushrooms cure or at least alleviate, you need 'shrooms to live.

2 Likes