Authorities launch Muslim hunt with emergency text message: "see media for pic"

I just enable “extreme threats” whatever that is…

1 Like

Hopefully it isn’t a typo and they meant Extremist Threats. You probably wouldn’t be able to use your phone for all the warnings.

2 Likes

Here, I part ways with you. I do indeed look – but not with any real belief I will find it. But I also keep one of those glass-shattering tools in my center console without the belief that I’ll ever use it. That said, my brother – oh, man, 30+ years ago, was the only guy who could put two bad guys at a murder scene in the Bay Area – so I guess I am slightly sensitized to helping out.

3 Likes

Got a new phone a couple years ago, didn’t know this other alert was on it, got woken up at 3 AM in an adrenalin-fueled panic by an Amber Alert, turned that shit off. I feel a little bad because if it were my kid, I’d want the whole state on the case, but I also need REM sleep.

Weather alerts on, though, because yeah, tornados.

3 Likes

Those alerts… FLASH FLOOD WARNING!!! At 3 AM, when I’m not driving anywhere. And my house is on a hill.

AMBER ALERT! Look for a black Ford. Could be a pickup, could be a Fiesta, could be a Model T, we won’t tell you. Last seen leaving your city 4 days ago. Thought you should know.

4 Likes

I got this message. It woke me up from a sound sleep at 7:30am. And the thing that bothers me the most is that raised my “awareness” well enough, but I never saw an “Ok, stand down we got him” message so I could resume my normal activies.

1 Like

Yeah, but is the car a Muslim? You can’t just like, name Muslim cars man.

1 Like

To be fair, despite my dislike of the FBI, neither the phone alert nor the photo poster say anything about the religion of the suspect. I am not sure to what extent they are on the hook for the ignorance of the general yahoo population.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m mystified as to what the objection is. You have an amber alert that only allows text. You need to get warning out about guy who has placed bombs at multiple locations. Sure, the alert sounded informal and unusual, but reasonably so, given the exigent circumstances. If it’s a muslim surname should the authorities instead say “See media for pic and name”?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.