Autism has always been with us

Ever notice that the media seems to think that only children have autism?

2 Likes

@popobawa4u and @pixleshifter you are both awesome in my book.

5 Likes

It gets really annoying when you get tested/diagnosed past 18 and your insurance wonā€™t cover anything.

5 Likes

You know whatā€™s worse? Being told that you canā€™t get tested because no screening services exist for adults where you are.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s super sucky. Hugs.

2 Likes

Silberman:

Eventually, by 1948, [Kanner] had decided it was caused by bad parentingā€”refrigerator mothers.

Bollocks of that magnitude does leave me worrying about the depth of Silbermanā€™s research.

#OH BOY! A ZEPPELIN!

7 Likes

Vaccines never caused any effects like autism before spy agency meddling. Before this - those vaccinated had the same rate of autism as the non-vaccinated.

Before the USSR & the United States entered WWII, the NKVD & the OSS - the predecessors to the KGB & CIA respectively - wrongly suspected that vaccines had the capability to cause autism. So the agencies collaborated to enhance this part of vaccination. It was meant to make the target population docile and peaceful, yet still productive and law abiding. The idea was to distribute it through the air water and so forth. They made progress but the war ended before anything militarily useful was produced. Plus, their funding was successively cut on both sides and diverted to the atomic bomb programs. At the end of the war, the already dormant joint program was officially disbanded and copies of the research were ostensibly given to both sides.

Flash forward to the Cold War - which functionally, in my view, was World War 3 of the Korean & Vietnam ā€˜warsā€™,
the Soviet conquest of Afghanistan and the many others were just the major & minor battles of WWW 3.

The Soviet Union & the United States-Great Britain a few years after the war revived the vaccination program. The original goal of painlessly and humanely making a well behaved, non-aggressive and compliant populace remained - in addition to the equally valuable protecting the public health from some nasty bugs that reduced progress & productivity.

The peacetime effects were meant to be much more subtle than the wartime effects and also were meant to subtlety raise the average IQ - just a bit. There were different types of the vaccine developed to be used on the various social strata. The formula for the upper class was optimized to assist keeping them at their Station - an idea similar to the vaccines optimized for the other strata.

There was another vaccine meant to produce human computers - specialized to different tasks. Savants have been a well-known phenomena since prehistory and the Chiefs of this program wanted to ā€˜bottle it.ā€™ Remember - computers at that time were very large, expensive and limited, while certain savants could make these machines look like bricks - depending on the function. Computers like the one Iā€™m typing on - or even my phone - were mostly the realm of Science Fiction writers, most of whom imagined the devices to be at least a hundred or more years away. Frank Herbert - who wrote Dune - knew of the program and based his ā€˜Mentatsā€™ on this idea.

The clinical trials seemed to work well enough. The five & six year-olds vaccinated as infants - both ones administered the vaccinations by their pediatricians (w/o parentsā€™ consent) & to better observed & controlled orphanages - seemed to be very promising. Potentially scalable to the population. So they changed the formula of the mass vaccinations to inoculate everyone - with the hopes certain individuals with a certain genetic pattern would turn out to be well-rounded & coherent savants with only maybe enough social indifference to make them happy working as human computers.

It obviously did not work out this way. Except with autism. The tinkering caused more way more cases of classical autism, which has always been around, and somewhat more cases of Aspergers, which also has always been around. Unfortunately - no sociable but somewhat introverted human computers resulted.

The tragic irony is this government tampering, especially in the case of the vaccine facilitated to cause human computers, had the effect of changing the germ-line DNA - something my source is not sure was intended as his source tragically died in a plane crash while en-route to the Mayo Clinic for an operation to hopefully treat his brain cancer.

I am The Walrus !!!

1 Like

Are you serious or just working on a dystopian fantasy novel?

7 Likes

Gotta be fantasy - thereā€™s no sci- in that fiā€¦

6 Likes

Ser japhroaig,

Thanks for your comment.

I am not serious. I started writing some other comment, then kinda got really into it. After all, this is post July 1st Oregon - not that would matter for meā€¦except I feel more free to be outdoors doing the Oregon Dew - or rather this time - the B.C. Dew.

Anyway - I really got into the comment and I think maybe for me it was a breakthrough. I can technical write like a robot - something Iā€™ve done professionally as a principled hack.

But I have always enjoyed creative writing - if my comment qualifies. I have been pretty blocked for quite a while - blocked is a a clichĆ© sometimes used by poseurs to attract men or women. But it does existā€¦and Iā€™ve been blocked. Iā€™ve only written creatively for fun - Iā€™ve never attempted to publish anything. It is just relaxing. I enjoy well moderated forums such as BoingBoing - both for reading and commenting - but I usually try to abide by the TOS and keep it short and on topic. Not sure if I did that here.

My comment here is the closest Iā€™ve come in a long time to anything looking like an idea for some sort of story Iā€™ve written for a while, and thank-you for asking me about it. My creative writing is a lot like my enjoyment of hiking, biking or whatever ā€“ Iā€™m not the best - hopefully not the worst - but I like it. I understand that outdoor pursuits are a bit different than writing. But being mentally blocked from a mental hobby such as creative writing can really bite - even if what one writes is sophomoric and will never be published.

Anyway - I started the comment thinking one or two short LOL statements then it got really verbose.

Again japhroaig - thanks for responding to my long-winded comment productively. As for a dystopian fantasy novel - Iā€™m not sure if there is enough to the idea in my comment to support a novel. Maybe a short story that would be fun for me to write and maybe share with a few friends.

Cheers!!!

~cdh

p.s.

Autism - I have a relevant uni degree & my wife (aleha ha-shalom) and I, who was also licensed, had a practice specializing in people with Aspergers and HFA. Also their parents & others we felt were a good fit. Itā€™s not my profession now. Got burned out.

7 Likes

PatRx2 -

Youā€™re right - there is no sci-fi in what I wrote. Not really sure if it is fantasy - as in the Fantasy genera. Just a hot day, beer and a too-long comment :wink:

Cheers!!!

~cdh

lol someone posted ā€œTrump presidency fanfictionā€ in the wrong thread

2 Likes

Please donā€™t comment on hot days when youā€™ve had so many beers. K. Thx. Bye.

1 Like

Mr. B -

Hmmmā€¦hadnā€™t thought that my overly-verbose mostly off-topic (while pretending to be on-topic) post would seem like pro-Trump fan-fiction.

Trump may or may not have above average intelligence, but I doubt he would have the twisted creativity to fart out the silly scheme I described in my original comment. Even Pykrete makes more sense than the biological-social engineering using vaccination farce I prattled on about.

Trump - performance art maybe - but given his refusal to condemn - seemingly endorse two skinheads beating an apparent Hispanic homeless man - this goes beyond performance art or crypto Hillary boosting - I wonder whatā€™s next? - Trump brown-tone-tartan Shirts?

Oh for peteā€™s sake this is so off topicā€¦gahhh.

Sorry. In my defense - I try use almost expired threads for my BS so I donā€™t interfere with more relevant discourse.

Your Mods are great as seen by their restraint - as are you.

Many Thanks,

~cdh

I shall try not to comment under similar circumstances.

Thank-you for your advise.

~c

How about starting a new topic for 3 paragraph short stories?

2 Likes

/pedantry. :wink:

1 Like

Heavy Poe, man.

1 Like