Autopsy reveals flaws in Oklahoma execution system

Arguing over whether an execution was humane or not is grotesque. It never ceases to amazes me how barbaric the general attitude toward prisoners (and the broken penal system, in general) remains in this country.

2 Likes

State sanctioned murder is prima facie barbaric. Unfortunately, we live in a barbaric society. So sure, we can try to make the murders as humane as possible, but at the same time, there seems to be undercurrent of not actually aiming for humanity, but rather gussing it up to be photogenic and palatable.

2 Likes

Current estimate of wrongly convicted on death row stands at 4.1%
(or 1 in 25 of the 3000 there)

Since that’s higher than the number who get released before their execution, it’s a safe bet innocent people are regularly being killed. In some cases that’s by altering their sentence to LWOP when they push for release. They get to die in a cell.

1 Like

I’m sorry… As soon as I saw that FAUX NOOZE logo, I instantly turned it off. I knew there would be no fact checking, and it would just be hyperbole from start to end.

Yeah, the guy died pretty terribly… But I will be damned if they will ever give a “Fair and Balanced” news story, ever.

At this rate, I’d probably inquire as to whether one of the prison’s heroin junkies could do the job. At least those guys know how to find a vein, apparently unlike the state agents…

5 Likes

Yeah, more-or-less. Human beings are still unable to grasp the futility of retributive justice in accomplishing anything constructive. We cling to an archaic and inefficient criminal justice system that attempts to codify vengeance instead of preventing further transgression (or promoting rehabilitation). The death penalty is just a necrotic appendage on a body that’s already filled with rot.

1 Like

I can understand some people calling executions “justice” or “murder” but I can’t understand anyone calling it “decency”.

2 Likes

Scalia famously said, “This court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is ‘actually’ innocent.”

Yup. Truth be damned. We’ve got a hangin!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.