Avoid “mental rebelling” to be happier

This strategy seems close to toxic positivity.

It could be a potentially useful psyops program from the malevolent or casually evil.

Like the insult “lucky to have a job” when you’re denied raises, benefits, or a safe work environment.

The “one good eye” standard from private prisons who don’t want to spend money on healthcare for their injured/sick inmates.

3 Likes

Yep. This reminds me of the gaslighting I endured geowing up with a psychopath for a “best friend”.

“Whaddya mean I owe you $50? Why don’typu just be happy that I don’tneed another $50 right now?”

“I never do anything that’d upset you. This is all normal treatment. You’re being too sensitive. If anything I’m nice for being your friend. Soke people don’t have any friends at all.”

5 Likes

Hidden Brain did an episode on classical stoicism and it’s application on modern life. Kind of fits into the topic but I like the philosophical application and the difference between little-s stoicism and big-s Stoic Philosophers who imagined that hardships were “tests” imposed by the Gods.

This author advocates facing life’s difficulties not so much with unflinching positivity but acknowledging the problem and leaning into the pain while practicing gratitude and approaching them mentally as if you are a Greek Stoic enduring a test of adversity.

2 Likes

Stoicism is an interesting philosophy and has many benefits (see also: Zen). There is and should be a world of difference between accepting things as they are, and not attempting to change them if they are bad, or biting your tongue and not complaining.

Hey, Flint city water is toxic! Yeah, know it and don’t drink it if you can avoid it, but I damn well will do whatever I need to get them to fix it!

3 Likes

This technique they’re recommending is only really useful for folks who aren’t right all the time. If the baseline you’ve set for yourself was a good, proper, accurate baseline, then backing off from that is like letting the bad guys win!

1 Like

Sounds like a great recipe to never change anything about what makes you unhappy.

What I see is that this focuses more on accepting that shit has happened and adjusting to lowered expectations, it goes the other way as well. Happiness is fleeting, and constantly finding €100 will make you expect to keep finding them, and no longer pleased when it happens. In fact, you will feel disappointed and sad when they don’t fall into your lap any more.

Mental rebelling is a bad term. It is merely the brain recognising that a situation has changed for the worse, and prepping the soul for abandoning the now-unprofitable course. Lowering energy consumption because evolution prepped us for bad news meaning nothing to eat any more for now. It’s a nasty way of turning down the flame yet still keeping us alert enough should something edible show up after all. And uncomfortable enough that we will try to break out of it.

Emotions are a haphazard, jury-rigged way to keep us moving forward, eating and procreating, really. Any purpose they have is simply an accident. So relax, take the time to think about what you really want and forget the bullshit about “mental rebelling”. It isn’t “rebelling”, it’s noting what is amiss and demanding it be fixed, nothing more.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.