Axolotls are being abandoned in pet shelters

Originally published at: Axolotls are being abandoned in pet shelters | Boing Boing

9 Likes

This is so reptilian :lizard:.

3 Likes

Really good episode in 99 Percent Invisible about axolotls, their origins in Mexico city, and their prevalence in biology.

There’s a big gloss over in the summary about their endangerment in the wild, in that all of the axolotls out there aren’t pure axolotls, but actually hybrids with another amphibian, ergo they’re not genetically suitable to repopulate wild populations. They’re far from endangered in captivity, though.

6 Likes

Hey, not all Axolotls are amorous. Todd’s asexual partner in Bojack Horseman, for example:

(The rest of her family was rather sex-obsessed, however)

10 Likes

When I saw the article title I just knew Minecraft was going to come up as part of the driving force. They’re interesting looking creatures and thus make for a fun addition to the video game, but underestimating the difficulty in caring for aquatic animal is very common.

6 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new axolotl overlords.

8 Likes

If anyone is interested in Julio Cortazar’s story of a character’s obsession with – and transformation into – an axolotl…

3 Likes

Evolutionarily speaking you and I are more closely related to reptiles than an axolotl or any other amphibian is.

8 Likes

Thank you for scratching my pedantic itch.

6 Likes

Yeah, you’re correct but don’t go telling herpetologists that unless you’re ready to start something…

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.